• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

Sony MVC-CD250

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
From Office Depot site
Sony's MVC-CD250 digital still camera features 2.0-megapixel resolution (2.1-megapixel gross), 3x optical zoom and the ability to write to affordable optical media. Capture exceptional still images and MPEG video clips directly to 156MB CD-R/RW media

Question.. I take it that CD-R/RW media is those little CDs....I don't know anything about them. I know I am very happy with my Sony using floppy disks. No dumb software to use, uploads, etc., copy to my subdirectory I create for each appaisal via file number, just change the name of the files to like FRT, REAR, STRT, etc. Then I go into the report and pull up the pix files as I like.

The floppy is going the way of the dodo bird soon it is avered. Dell is dropping them. So what is the CD like? What is this small diskdrive in the computer like? Anybody using them? How many pix to a CD? I am assuming you cannot erase these then overwrite them? Is this CD system going to replace the conventional CD? Are they interchangable in any way? I am more than happy with the floppy version, but no point in buying another one without going to the latest media version...as long as it saves directly to .jpg and skip the uploading software.

Jeff Horton

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Alabama
Question.. I take it that CD-R/RW media is those little CDs....I don't know anything about them. I know I am very happy with my Sony using floppy disks. No dumb software to use.

Stick with your floppy drive. You will like it better.

I own this camera and its a good camera. But there is nothing wrong with what you have. Use it till it dies or you can't buy floppies is my advice.

How many pix to a CD? I am assuming you cannot erase these then overwrite them? Is this CD system going to replace the conventional CD?

This is just a standard CD cept smaller in size. If you have ever burned a CD its the same type deal. Nothing special. Depending on the resolution you burn around 200 photos on it. If you use the smallest resolution. 640x480 I bet you can get close to 300 photos on there. Thats what I use for appraisal photos.

You can buy CD-RW (Read and Write) that are erasable and can be used many times. Thats what I do. I had imagined archiving the CD with all the photos on it "Just in Case" but there is a drawback.

Are they interchangeable in any way? I am more than happy with the floppy version, but no point in buying another one without going to the latest media version...as long as it saves directly to .jpg and skip the uploading software

The camera has to read ever picture on the CD every-time you want to download new photos using the software. Very simple, almost fool proof matter of fact. But it can take 5 minutes if the disk is near full to read and display thumbnails of your photos. Granted I can just work on something else while it does that but I don't like it. Especially when I need one photo off the CD and I need it now.

You can finalize the CD and put it in you computer which will read it much faster, much like using a floppy. However it takes 2-5 minutes to finalize the CD in the camera. So unless I want to keep the pictures for some reason I just use the transfer software. It's just as fast. So the floppy or a memory stick is faster to get from camera to computer.

I now tend to reformat the CD after about 50 photos so that I can keep the transfer timed short. Sort of defeats the purpose of being able to store all the photos doesn't it? :)

If I had it do over I would probably look at one of the Sony's that use a memory card and or floppy. They download much faster and do what I want. Being an amateur photographer I thought this was the way to go digital. But the more I use digital the less I like it. I just bought two used Pro cameras and will stick with film for my photography but I am getting off subject.

I wouldn't really recommend this camera unless you need the archived CD for some reason. I think what you have is better for appraising. I believe the best way is memory card providing the camera has a good transfer software. I have thought about selling this camera and buying one of the cheaper Sony's just for appraisal work since I am not going to use this in my photography any more.

I should add that is an excellent camera and I am impressed with it. I have taken some beautiful photos with it. I am just not impressed with it for appraisal work. And since I decided to stick with film instead of digital and no longer use it as a personal camera that is why I will probably sell it.

EDWARD BERRY

Professional Status
State
Arkansas
Terri,

All that Jeff says is true, however I have used both and the CD version is better.

It does take some planning to use it. Fully charged it has over 100 minutes to use. IT will do all you can inspect in a day.

Its built wide angle is adequate, its forced flash is wonderfull for interior(I use it on all relos)

The CD-rw disk are about $3.50(www) and hold about 1,300 shots.

I usually quit at 700.

In actual practice, I make a directory called CD1, CD2 etc. Upon returning from inspections, the first thing is to "finalize it" As Jeff says, the more you have the longer it takes. Then I copy it to the desktop PC.

The built in desktop EXPLORE shows it in thumbnails or list. You can view and /or blow up for inspection.

I now rename the first and last pic of a property with my file # at the end, THus I can find any pic. For sales I add the address #. I take ineriors first and then the front, rear and street, so many times i do not need to view thumbnails. They do take longer to load, but not excessive, when they load. min explore, and that helps. You do need 512 mem for it to be fast.

After copying, then the little CD needs unfinalizing-this does take time but can be almost unattended. A word here----The quicker one does the initial copying to the hard drive the better-I have had a few . that when i tried to read or rename before copying to say "unreadable"

Thus, I have pics on the little CD and on the Hard drive.

They say the camera can be use another desktop CD, and that you do not have to finalize to get them into the desktop. MY USB port only works about 1/2 the time---so i always finalize and copy. This reduces the total capacity of the little CD --but so what.

My software pic pages ask fot the file # to import-thus by answering "CD1, scrolling down to wanted pic and hitting open" it is banged in.

Thus, for me it is much better than flopies, even though I got 200 for free.

Backward ed in arkansas

TC

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
Terrel,

I replaced my old floppy Mavica with the newer version that has the floppy drive and the Memory stick. The stick can hold up to 128 pics or more depending on size and resolution. I like it much better than just the floppy, had too many of them go bad on me. But I still carry some in the car in case I forget the stick. The newer versions of Sony computers have a bay for the memory stick, which makes me think they will be around for a long time.

TC

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
I think what you have is better for appraising. I believe the best way is memory card providing the camera has a good transfer software.

Answers my Q. I bought a close up lens for my camera (which has the standard 37mm screw mount) and really get the fish eye effect sometimes, but a fisheye pix is often a really good way to show a small room, or a 2 story building where you are standing 20' away with your back against the wall. Also, the close up gives you excellent pix without much distortion of 840' long chicken houses.

I do have a problem occasionally with unreadable files. I try to think and go back thru the pix with the viewer immediately after inspection. You usually catch a corrupted file then.

I like this camera in part because it is a little on the bulky side. I have a tiny Casio that I lose for days at a time. Usually find under a sheet of paper or magazine on some desk.

Memory sticks that load directly into a reader might to ok...I don't like most camera software that comes with cameras. I have one with a dancing chicken in drag..maybe its supposed to be a parrot. Another Picture-it left the SH out of its name. Abobe Bus. ed is slow and creates files that are huge. Adobe Elements stinks and is so complex I took it off the computer and set it back in the box. The only good one came with HP and was called EZPhoto but the software disappeared (not to be confused with some Russian software w/same name and valueless.) My sub still uses the HP camera..bet it has taken 10,000 pix since 1995 and it even has a Y2K glitch...date function dates it back to 1997.

I use a little ditty without a name other than the file name of SPRY that came with a Packard Bell computer years ago. I set it as default to open .jpg and .tif files. I copy my Sony CD to a file folder I create under the file number. Then I change the names to match the scene ..FRT, REAR, STRT, etc. Double clicking on the file, SPRY opens the shot immediately, where I can adjust color, contrast, and intensity, crop, etc. and save. Takes about 30 sec. or less. I cannot even open most software Pkgs in that time. Also, can deal with 1 photo at a time instead of downloading the whole bunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks