• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

SOUND ADVICE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry Russell

Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Montana
""It is what it is, doesn't matter what the HO or LO want it to be. Just one more that will create a fight and potential lost client. If the client causes lots of trouble over it..... fire 'em.""

The above is an excerpt from one of Pamela Crowley's recent posts.

Nothing complicated about that course of action.

Thanks Pam, Hope you don't mind?

terry

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Terry,

I don't mind at all.

For those of you that think saying something like this will harm your business - it hasn't harmed mine.

I'm totally blackballed from all local mortgage lender work. Fine with me. Since there is no way I'll do what they want, it's easier on all of us that they don't call me. I haven't been bribed or threatened since they stopped calling me (except for the ocassional one that doesn't know me yet or a Realtor that forgot to tell the LO not to use me). Some appraisals make what they want, some are higher, some are lower.

Standing up for myself and holding tightly to my ethics only hurt business for a little while and that was while I was still marketing like crazy to build my business. What I have now is too much work from mainly decent lenders that want the truth. We all have reputations - most if not all of the wholesale lenders KNOW what your reputation is already. I turn down orders now sometimes because I can't get to it for about 2 weeks. Some will wait and send the order anyway, some go elsewhere. I get referrals. I'll never set the world on fire with the number of appraisals I can complete. It takes time to do them correctly - to do all the verification. I'm just happy that I'm finally making enough to support myself sufficiently, able to purchase a few things above the necessities, and hopefully start saving.

Sign the petition if you haven't already.

Attend your state Appraisal Board meetings.

Learn to say NO to the pressure and fire those that do pressure you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks