• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Sources For Data?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Helge Lubmann

Freshman Member
I've been working for a lisenced appraiser for two years now....just recently passed my state test andwaiting for my AT. For the whole two years we've used only three sources for data......FARES...NDC...and of course MLS. I want to venture into other sources of data and test them out to see if the data is more accurate. Can anyone help me by listing what sources you use and where i would be able to obtain that data from....Thanks for the help.

Austin

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Virginia
I guess it depends on the services available where you live. In the city and county where I practice I use the tax records. If I am appraising a house in a subdivision I can flip on the computer and search every sale in the subdivision and always do. Then our tax offices have a book of recent sales you can search. The property transfers in both city and county are in the paper every week. If I am doing land or tract appraisals I go to the map rack and see what maps have been recorded recently and look up what was transferred. I pick up auction flyers in the county clerk of court office and check the sale results and keep them on file. Our tax records are pretty good with good property data generally. I use MLS but it seems to me that Realtors are losing their relevance as time goes on. I got my MLS comp book for the 1st quarter of 2003 yesterday and there was a low of 146 sales in the 1st quarter. There are at least 100 or more Realtors so somebody ain’t eating regularly. I haven’t seen that few sales in a quarter for a long time. The combined market is around 100,000 population.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
I only use two sources.....public records and MLS. Several companies have tried to provide sales data in my market but none have survived.

George Hatch

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
California
Those three sources of data probably have you covered about as well as you can be with data. There are other public records data subscription services you might consider as an alternative to FARES, like Axciom/Dataquick or Metroscan. In my experience, these sources are roughly equal in quality to FARES; the main differences are in the ways the search engines work. Check your local market for availability.

George Hatch

Joshua Fookes

Professional Status
State
California
George,

Do you have any links to those providers main pages? Or other contact info. I'm a newbie and want to look into datasources too.

Thanks

Josh

Helge Lubmann

Freshman Member
I use NDC as my second source if i cant find MLS on a comp. Website for that is ndcdata.com......FARES is an online public records database that i use as my main source for sale info and pulling comps. It is from first american.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks