• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Spider Bite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
Got up yesterday with an itch on my wrist, a small white spot. By noon it was maddening and a red circle about 2".. I am now on Keflex and a steriod cream but I am beginning to see red streaks up my arm and if not better back to doc tomorrow. Very tender. Everyone seems to suspect a spider but I felt no bite. Anyone ever bitten by one before? They said since it was not a dark spot, may be a different spider than a recluse and not likely a Black Widow...I didn't know others could be a problem.

Ms. Janet

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
I'm diagnosing cellulitis. My daughter got it from a tiny ant bite. We had to draw a circle with a sharpie around the red circle and if it grew it was straight to the emergency room. It can be really dangerous.

Pdexter

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Oregon
That sounds a little like the early stages of MURSA. I knew someone who had this kind of staph infection and it took weeks of draining and treatment. Very nasty bug! For the first two weeks, she was convinced it was a spider bite...

icisic7

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
California
That sounds a little like the early stages of MURSA. I knew someone who had this kind of staph infection and it took weeks of draining and treatment. Very nasty bug! For the first two weeks, she was convinced it was a spider bite...

That's exactly what I was thinking. It is frequently mistaken for a spider bite at first. It can be deadly! Get to an MD and get tested for that immediately!!!

Mary Tiernan

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Michigan
Here is an e-mail my friend sent me detailing her harrowing experience with a similar "spider bite"

I don't believe any of you folks are aware of what happened to me a week before Christmas. I was in the hospital for 5 days while they performed two surgeries on my hand because of an MRSA (staph) infection. It started out looking like& nbsp;a spider bite or something. After 3 days, it got bigger and my hand started to swell around it. I went to the doctor. They took a sample, gave me antibiotics, told me to come back in 3 days if not better, and sent me home. I f you have a squeamish stomach, just skip down to the last paragraph.

The spot that looked like a bite kept getting bigger and more reddish-purplish. The night before the third day I woke up with alot of pain. I turned the light on and my whole hand was hugely swollen. Hannah took me to the ER about 4:00 a.m. They gave me IV antibiotics, sliced it open to drain it, took another sample, stuffed gauze into the incision to deep it open, talked about keeping me in the hospital, and then sent me home with instructions to see my doctor the ne xt day.

The next morning, in my doctor's waiting room I got a call on my cell phone from his lab. MRSA was confirmed. My doctor made arrangements for me to go into the hospital. They started me on IV antibiotics. The next day the ha nd surgeon sliced me open and "cleaned out" all the infection. Unfortunately this also meant cutting out a bunch of nerves on the top of my hand. Fortunately, they were able to save my hand (yes, that's how bad it had gotten). They sli ced both sides of my hand (I look kind of like Frankenstein). It's my understanding that they left everything open, and I had a wound drain. Two days later they went back in. It looked like they had gotten almost everything. So t hey did a little more scraping, closed it all up, but left the drain tube in.

I also had a PICC line put in. For those who don't know, it's a line that was inserted into a vein in my upper arm and goes in towards my heart. That's for the IVs. I got home last Saturday and have been giving myself 2 doses of I V antibiotics each day. That should be anywhere from just a few more days (two weeks) to two more weeks after that.

So, if you see a red bump, or lump, or what you think is a bug bite, get it looked at as soon as possible.

Your doctor cannot determine if MSRA until tests are completed, takes a couple days. Has your doctor run the test yet? If not, INSIST ON IT!

Good luck - prayers are with you.

Joker

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Ohio
pdexter is right.

Go to a doctor....NOW.
Have him check (do a culture) for MRSA.

Do not delay, do not put it off and hope it will get better.

This stuff is not something to be messed with. You could lose your arm if you want to be a hero and hope for the best. Go NOW!

Joker

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Ohio
I just called him and didn't get an answer. I left a message am hoping that he was at the doctor's office.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks