• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Split Level Which level is on Grade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Susan Klimaszewski

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Texas
I need a little help here. Split level homes are not common in my area (and we do not have basements) and I'm having a problem deciding which level is actually the "grade" level.

You drive into the garage and immediately adjacent and level to the back of the garage are 4 bedrooms, 2 baths and the laundry area. This section of the house is open to the land at the front, left side and the rear.

You go up 5 steps and then you are on the 2nd level which has the kitchen, dining, living areas. This level is open to the land on the front, left and rear and adjacent to the garage level on the left side. You do have to walk up steps from the outside front to go in the front door.

The 3rd level is above the garage and has a large family room.

Would I be correct by saying that rooms attached to the garage are below grade at 896.1 sqft and all the rest is at or above grade at 1386.7 sq ft?

The few split level homes that have sold in the area showed no market reaction to the style and I can tell by looking that the MLS listings are showing the square footage to include all living space even if below grade and included all rooms in the room count, not just those on the levels above grade.

I see on the URAR that I am to include only sq ft above grade and rooms above grade and then note the other as being basement (not) or finished rooms below grade. Would I then fill in the grid the subject has 1 living, 2 dining, kitchen and no bedrooms or baths and then write in the bedrooms and baths below that on the grid?

Sorry if this is really basic stuff, but it's my first split level home and my father-in-law who was my supervisor and mentor before I was licensed passed away a week ago..... I have no one else to ask except for ya'll.

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 76
  • Rear.jpg
    Rear.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 79
  • sketchoaks.pdf
    33 KB · Views: 101

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
I include all of the living area in the GLA and for FNMA reporting purposes I'll break it out in the narrative description of the subject property improvements. In the basement or below grade section of the SCA grids I might enter "included above" as a comment.

Ken B

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
Nice sketch. The garage level is below grade. The floorplan is not typical for a split level design. Normally the bedrooms and baths would be on the third level and the family room would be on the garage level.

TECHNICALLY, you would report the area on the garage level as below-grade space. If you do so, you can expect to have a bunch of calls on the property even if you explain thoroughly within the report the design.

Susan Klimaszewski

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Texas
I forgot to mention that this is a Fannie Mae REO if that makes a difference.

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Carolina
Are those jack rocks or ginger bread men in the sketch?:)

Ken B

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
I forgot to mention that this is a Fannie Mae REO if that makes a difference.

The condition of the pool indicated something was going on.

But no, it doesn't make any difference.

Ken B

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida

Ceiling fans....don't see many sketches in that detail, do you?

Susan Klimaszewski

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Texas

Cute..... those are my ceiling fans. In the past, I have had MB or LO call me and gripe because I said a home had ceiling fans and didn't show them... So I started showing them... Then I had one idiot who called and griped because I said a room had one, showed it in the sketch, but the photograph didn't go up high enough to show the entire ceiling so "How are they supposed to know that the room really has one!". This is a no-win business. :)

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Carolina
At first I thought the family room was female.

Ken B

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Cute..... those are my ceiling fans. In the past, I have had MB or LO call me and gripe because I said a home had ceiling fans and didn't show them... So I started showing them... Then I had one idiot who called and griped because I said a room had one, showed it in the sketch, but the photograph didn't go up high enough to show the entire ceiling so "How are they supposed to know that the room really has one!". This is a no-win business. :)

Don't let 'em push you around. People are going to gripe no matter what you do. If they don't gripe now (you low-balled the value and I can't make the deal!), they will gripe later (you appraised it too high and now I can't pay the mortgage!).

I had one LO literally scream at me that "AN ACRE IS 40,000 SQUARE FEET!!"

Yeah, buddy, forgot your meds this morning, din'cha?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks