• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Sprinkler Controls

Status
Not open for further replies.

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
Would you condition the appraisal on inspection?

anti siphon.JPG

Randolph Kinney

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
North Carolina
No, my sprinkler solenoids are exposed above ground. It is low voltage and as long as the wires are protected (taped or capped), they operate just fine in the rain.

However, maybe your situation is different in that your box could fill up with water and the electrical could short if the solenoids are operated (wires are live with current- voltage) underwater, if there are any pathways for the water to contact active wires or connections. It is low voltage DC that feeds the sprinkling system from the control box. There is a fuse or breaker inside the control box of the sprinkler system that protects against a short circuit.

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
It's not the electrical that is the issue. It's that they are below the sprinkler heads/emitters so the anti-backflow would not operate and contaminated water could back flow into the potable water.

Randolph Kinney

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
North Carolina
So you are saying either it does not have a back flow preventer or if does, it is below ground and not according to health and safety code.

Why not condition it?

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
Yes. The built-in backflow preventer will not work if the valves are below the sprinkler heads or emitters.

I was just trying to get back up that I'm not be unreasonably cautious.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
plumbing inspection? Some check valves are designed differently I think. Kind of like a stop and waste valve

Randolph Kinney

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
North Carolina
Yes. The built-in backflow preventer will not work if the valves are below the sprinkler heads or emitters.

I was just trying to get back up that I'm not be unreasonably cautious.

Personally, I don't inspect plumbing or electrical. Why? Beyond my expertise and scope of work, unless it is obvious to my knowledge like bare wires or standing water. Is this FHA?

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
Yes. FHA. The boot in the photo is my brothers (Jeff - retired appraiser and expert in landscape systems). I would never have known.

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
Okay... "retired." :)

My scenario, IMO, falls under "Faulty or defective mechanical systems (electrical, plumbing or heating/cooling).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks