• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

"spy"ware!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
I thought my computer had crashed!

Blue screen even though the bottom line with "Start" and all those little bottom line icons loaded. Just nothing else would show up on that big blue screen. Called a couple of tech companies that were going to charge an arm & both legs, saying I would probably have to reload my OS and lose all my data (back up would have to be loaded, but many things would still be lost).

Then, I get a great guy on the phone (friend of a friend of a friend) and over the phone find out it's spyware that has taken over my machine!!!! He talks me through shutting down the spyware that was the only thing running on my machine and everything came back on as normal! He then tells me to get "Spybot" Search and Destroy, a free download off the internet. I did, ran the scan, it found about 15 spyware items on my computer!!!! Stuff that AdAware didn't find!!!!

Anyway, I guess it's considered one of the best programs available to get rid of spyware and it's free! (I will be sending a donation to them)

http://download.com.com/3120-20-0.html?qt=...ybot&tg=dl-2001

What a relief!!!

Dave Smith

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Wisconsin
Pamela:

A recent PC World article recommended running both Ad-Ware and Spybot because each one finds things the other missed. I use both and have found that to be the case.

That confirms the advice you were given.

Glad to hear you are back in business.

Have an appraisal free weekend. :beer:

Carnivore

Elite Member
Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Thanks Pam! I found the source of a lot of Pop ups and e-mails etc using both adware and spybot.

Your the best!

Dale Smalley

Professional Status
State
Florida
Wow the Spybot worked great.
I gave and old computer to the kids (teenagers) who download everthing. There were so many pop ups and programs in memory that it slowed to a crawl. If you left the computer on overnight there would be dozens of windows open. I tried all the manual methods of hunt and seek to find them for hours. But they would always come back even with a firewall. This program found them in no time at all.

Thanks

Jeff Horton

Professional Status
State
Alabama
I love spybot too. If you look it can immunize you computer from being reinfected with many of the spyware garbage fiels too. Just found that last week.

Speaking of, if you use Weatherbug, don't upgrade to the newest version. It now has some sort of spyware or something embedded in it. I kept getting pop-ups even when I was not using the computer. Spybot couldn't find anything either. Then I finally put it together and did some home work and found out it was Weatherbug. I now run an older version I had on CD I had downloaded and saved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks