• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Sq. Ft. Adjustment

Status
Not open for further replies.

aztecwolf619

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
I measured the subject, has different sq. ft. than listed on tax rolls, by approx. 140 feet, similar exact models in the subdivision also state a different sq. ft. from tax rolls on the MLS, similar to mine with stated source being appraisal/owner. When doing my adj. would you suggest making their sq. ft. exactly the same as mine, or use the MLS listed, and still state that they are model matches?

JonGalt

Professional Status
State
Illinois
I would explain it in the addenda and use the model matches that show the same sq. ft. on the tax record as the same square footage as the subject. I've run into a number of similar situations, the last few came in less than tax assessor records but were exactly the same when I added the garage.

leelansford

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Illinois
I measured the subject, has different sq. ft. than listed on tax rolls, by approx. 140 feet, similar exact models in the subdivision also state a different sq. ft. from tax rolls on the MLS, similar to mine with stated source being appraisal/owner. When doing my adj. would you suggest making their sq. ft. exactly the same as mine, or use the MLS listed, and still state that they are model matches?

Whichever approach that you take..."explain, explain, explain".

Thomas Fiehler

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Ohio
As noted above ex[lain, explain and explain--unless you can talk to the appraisers who die those assignments. We have one builder here who never changes his model name and his prices remain fairly constant (in the old days). When I asked about this they said they use the same model but just shrink it slightly over time.

Mztk1

Professional Status
State
Florida
I wouldn't use tax data living area for my subject or model match comps. I got my living area by physically measuring the house, I don't know how tax data got theirs nor how the other appraisers did their job. But I measure slowly and deliberately with a tape to the 1/10 of an inch, and I'll check every measurement twice...so I usually have confidence when there's a discrepency.

For the comps that are model matches I'd use my measured living area and state why in the report.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks