• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

SRA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highlander416

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Massachusetts
I was checking out the SRA requirements from AI. It appears the required courses can only be taken at AI locations. It also appears a great deal of travel to different areas of the country is required to take some of these courses, as local chapters appear to rarely hold some of the classes. Clearly there is an argument to be made that these designations may or may not help an appraiser's ability to get better fees or more work. However, isn't another barrier the difficulty many face in actually getting to these classes?

chip baine

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
I was checking out the SRA requirements from AI. It appears the required courses can only be taken at AI locations. It also appears a great deal of travel to different areas of the country is required to take some of these courses, as local chapters appear to rarely hold some of the classes. Clearly there is an argument to be made that these designations may or may not help an appraiser's ability to get better fees or more work. However, isn't another barrier the difficulty many face in actually getting to these classes?
It is to me and the time involved as well. I can't afford as a sole prop. to take a week or two off to go to a class. I took the first three when I was a trainee about 12 yrs ago but that was on somebody else's dime and I was getting paid a salary at the time so it was no big deal but now if I don't work I don't eat. The classes are the best I've ever taken from anybody regarding appraisal education and you do learn alot. I think the demo report has kept alot of people from completing the requirements as well. They may have changed the demo thing but I'm not sure I have not looked at it in a while.

JT1974

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Wisconsin
Nothing worth having comes easy.

Highlander416

Professional Status
State
Massachusetts
I had two reasons in mind why I would like to get the SRA.

1- I have to take and pay for classes toward CE anyway. Why not take classes that count toward something, like an SRA desg? Similar to my Masters program, I figured I could do it over 5 years. But, I don't like fly at all, and a lot of travel appears required.

2- I have read so much about the quality of AI education, that alone would be worth it. Again, however, I just don't know how I could swing it, time wise and financially.

Last edited:

Kali the Boston Terrier

Professional Status
State
Michigan
I have spent a considerable amount of time, money, and overall mental space chasing the MAI and the ASA. I know it has made me a better appraiser, I am sure it will make me more money, but really the last part does not matter. It made me a better appraiser....that alone is worth the sacrifice.

I believe there will be much more emphasis on designations in the future, any investment in that direction you will thank a few years from now. My thought is, take a look at the people who did not want to upgrade to CR in 2008. Now that FHA requires a CR or CG...look at all the people with their pants down...completely scre\/\/ed. MIght this thread come back to haunt some of you?

Mad Viking

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Massachusetts
The MBREA is in your back yard, obtain one of their designations. Good courses, good instructors and think of all the money you will save without all of the travel expense.

Thern Newbell

Professional Status
State
Tennessee
I have heard a many people discount the benefits of an SRA, and it may not help you get much lending work, but it would certainly be a plus if you want to do assignments for litigation, and other non-lending work. My opinion would be that it can't hurt to have it. There is obviously an expense in travel and education, and you may need to analyze your own goals in this profession to see if it is something that you truly want to pursue. Call a few SRA's in your area and get their input.

Ken B

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
One person's barrier is another person's commitment.

I have taken courses for the SRA and MAI designation in:

Washington DC (Hated the commute)
Richmond, VA (Very convenient)
Baltimore (Don't venture off the main streets)
Altanta (Saw a salon offering a special on a facial and bowel irrigation package)
Greensboro, NC (THE most polite people I have ever met)
Chicago (Visit the Merchandise Mart...very cool)
Indianapolis (...)
Boca Raton, FL (The weather is absolutely perfect)

andy ruffner

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Virginia
I'm not sure the benefits of getting the SRA nowadays make sense, but the education from AI is invaluable, and that alone will set you apart. I just finished up my last MAI course and I've spent a ton of money and time away from family, and I am a sole prop. as well, but the education is worth it's weight in gold. It was hard being away from my family and work, in some city halfway across the country for a week, but it is paying off now. A lot of people have their opinions about the AI, and I have my disagreements, but in my opinion, the instruction and education of the courses (not seminars IMO) are priceless. I've taken courses from other places and it's not close. I personally believe in continuing to educate yourself and by law, we have to for licensure. Unfortunately the CE is now an online, wham bam, get it done it an hour deal. Respect to anyone who treats it differently. I don't have the designation yet, but the coursework alone has changed my appraisal career astronomically.

My list is similar to Ken's above. It's not easy.
I just finished my last class in Baltimore in which I commuted from VA every morning at the crack of dawn. My car only got broken into once. I feel fortunate I guess. If you take a course there, don't leave anything in your car! In fact, leave your car open, so they can check it out without breaking a $297 window. Oddly, they did not take my book of country music cd's! Thank God

Last edited:

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
I honestly believe obtaining a designation will improve one's position in this business. Look for more, not less, requirements coming from clients and the secondary market participants. Using a certified appraiser for FHA is just the tip of the iceberg.

I took all of the required residential courses from the Appraisal Institute years ago. Those required me to travel, albeit not too far, for them. Each was a week at the University of Colorado at Boulder which is about 90 miles north of Colorado Springs. In addition, I also took several Certified Residential Brokerage Manager (CRB) courses at Boulder. While there was substantial costs, ie., the course, lodging, transportation, and meals, the advantage was getting into a 100% learning mode. No work, no phone calls, no pressure from the home front. I was able to fully concentrate on the task at hand...passing the course.

Yes, its costly. Yes, its time consuming. Yes, its beneficial. The course materials and instructors are first class. The association with other appraisers seeking to improve their appraisal education is also a major benefit. You will come away with a much better understanding of who we are, what we do, and why we do it.

Go for it! Best wishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks