• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Stairwells

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lynne

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
My question is a peer analysis for my own personal use no other intended users. The query is…if your subject has multiple levels / floors and tax record does not include the stairwell in GLA how do you handle this? I’m not talking about the wide open 2nd level balcony type homes. Just a typical multi level home with a stairwell cut out of GLA by tax record. I try to stay consistent within the development but find the inconsistencies troublesome.

Insert smiley face here for your response!

Meandering

Elite Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
Pennsylvania
:D Only count the stairs that down from the floor above. :D

miktay

Professional Status
State
Texas
Good question.
I've always done the same thing, and it has always worked well.
I delete the SF of the stairwell until the point of the beginning of the wall (typically a closet) where living space begins (with a minimum 5')
County tax records has little bearing on my measured GLA.
They are wrong about 99.7 % of the time.

bnmappraisal

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
I'm not sure where in FL you are, but my area(s) sometimes count the stairs/stairway in the GLA. When I get to 2/multi- story dwellings, I measure the stairway and deduct this from the GLA (I use TOTAL and it's fairly easy with that). Again, even in my market(s), some properties have the stairway removed, some do not. I rely more on my actual measurement of the property, but definitely consider the County Property Appraiser's records as a secondary source (i.e. I measure 1,894 sf and County shows 1,9XX sf - difference being approx. the stairway, I use my measurement in the report)

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
Even if tax record does not include the stairwell in GLA?
Yes, explain the difference in the report. The assessor records are not the final word in anything, just a guide. Cite the ANSI standard.

Joyce Potts

Elite Member
Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
If you have comparables that are model matches, simply pick your poison, and explain. There is rarely a consistent right or wrong answer. Rule #1 is disclose what you did and acknowledge the variance between the tax records vs your measurements. The UW or reviewer can disagree but they can't make the argument that you were misleading or omitted material information.

I don't always adhere to ANSI standards if my market data is overwhelmingly different. E.g., new urbanism communities with garage apartments included in GLA. For that matter, I've seen the counties handle garage apartments differently for model matches.

Lynne

Professional Status
State
Florida
Yes, explain the difference in the report. The assessor records are not the final word in anything, just a guide. Cite the ANSI standard.

I agree assessor records are not the final word. Which Ansi standard are you referring to? IMO Ansi Standards are a guideline. Same as FNMA guidelines and are not market specific. Assumptions, Limiting Conditions & Scope of Work coupled with my signature are my final word.

Lynne

Professional Status
State
Florida
If you have comparables that are model matches, simply pick your poison, and explain. There is rarely a consistent right or wrong answer. Rule #1 is disclose what you did and acknowledge the variance between the tax records vs your measurements. The UW or reviewer can disagree but they can't make the argument that you were misleading or omitted material information.

I don't always adhere to ANSI srsndards if my market data is overwhelmingly different. E.g., new urbanism communities with garage apartments included in GLA. For that matter, I've seen the counties handle garage apartments differently for model matches.

I agree. Some tax records include enclosed porches not finished same as interior etc. My specific question is in regard to stairwells.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks