• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

state test questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

robert hoagland

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Connecticut
Can anyone answer these questions?
1. Which foundation is best to use in poor soil conditions? Perimetric,slab,column footings or mat and block.
2. What is the highest structural element? Ridge board, collar beam, top plate or header.
3. Which land characteristic has the most influence on value? Immobility, scarcity, indestructability or uniqueness.
4. In regards to land economics, which is most important to value? Scarcity, modifications, area preference or performance of investment.

Jay Bartholomew

Freshman Member
:idea: Ok. I hope this will help you and not make me look stupid. I'm not sure if I got these right but its how I answered Last week. :idea:
1) column footings
2) collar beam
3) immobility
4) ? didn't have that one. Maybe someone else can give it a shot
I think it would be "area preference".
I don't like the run on sentences in the questions. It seems like they test you for your test taking skills rather than your knowledge. Did you remember these questions or did you write them down!? I scored an 83 on that dam thing. Don't mark questions to go back to. Take your time and think them thru. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8)

Steve Gish

Sophomore Member
Are these on your state cert test or pre-license test? All are unfamiliar to me.

Has anyone found the positive answers to these questions?

Fred

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Virgin Islands
1. mat and block
2. ridge board
3. scarcity
4. scarcity

FWIW,
1 is obvious.
2 strong guess. ridge board is the high point on a roof, a collar can be anywhere, never heard of top plate (only top stile or top rail as part of a door or window), don't know header but it sounds like it could go anywhere
3. is obvious.
4. is a guess. if it is scarcity in regular economics, then it should be scarcity in land economics too, right?

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
Top plate is a west of the Miss/ maybe even Sierra?...
term for the upper 2x4 or 2x6 in wall framing:
as in what the 'roof framing sits on'

/ / / / <Roof framing
/ / / /
------------------------------ <-- top plate (most places require a double top plate)
------------------------------
| | | | | <wall studs

B)

Steve Gish

Sophomore Member
Thanks for the replies.... still got a problem with Number 1. I'm seeing 3 different answers. I don't think perimetric is a real word so we wont count that one. My pre-licensing instructor said columns, Steven says mat and block, I kind of though it might be slab.

"Column footings must be used when soil does not compact as in, say, California, New Mexico or Texas . These extend down into unstable soil into (hopefully) bedrock." to quote my instructor.

Steven, or anyone, can you amplify what mat and block is? I figure block is 12x8x8 hollow core block, but what's the mat part? how is this a good thing for poor/unstable soil? Wouldn't the blocks shift?

Fred

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Virgin Islands
It all goes to show how dumb the questions on the licensing tests are. Mine was 125 questions for cert general, but only 11 questions specific to income, which means the applicant could have missed every income question and passed the test by plenty.

Lee Ann,
Thanks for the top plate. I racked my head on that one. Had top soil, top bunk, top floor. BTW, I have a private message from you from the old days with question pending on confidentiality. Will send it along.

Steve,
On the tests I took, usually two choices were very easy to throw out (like on question 3, it’s indestructibility and immobility because these are characteristics that all properties have in common). Makes it kind of easy to pass the test. You only have to know 60% of the material cold, because you can get half of the other 40% by careful guessing – and that gets you to 80%.

Engineering is definitely my weak suit in this business. So, you may be right about column footings. The other two choices are the easy ones to throw out. "Perimetric" is some form of the word "perimeter;" and slabs have to sit on something that doesn’t move or else they crack. "Mat and block is also mat foundation or float foundation. See Foundations

Where I would depart from your instructor is in distinguishing between column footings, which is a generic term to me; and pilasters (or caissons), which are a specific type of column footings. Column footings can sit on steel plates that in turn sit on rocky ground. Pilasters look like column footings, but these are the ones that must be driven down through soft ground until they won’t go down any more, eg, because they finally hit bedrock. I think the terms pilaster and pile driver have something in common

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
Steven...

Sorry I hit the post button and forgot the other two: Collar plate CAN be a strong (structural) wrap around the ends of rafters: located in the area covered by 'fascia' for folks familiar with that term. This is more common in a Tar & Gravel -built up- roof where the collar effectively forms a 'gutter' for the structure.

Header is the term for the solid member placed over doors and windows to take the load of roof joists (usually only) on exterior walls. Interior walls are often 'open framed' as the wall is assumed tobe non-load bearing.

Framing terms vary all over this great country of ours and are often quite regionalized in nature.

Will look forward to the missive on confidentiality... that one was sitting for a while :p

Steve Gish

Sophomore Member
Thanks for the quick responses, I'm testing Saturday morning and I'm really cramming this week, hense my sudden reappearance on the forum with the questions.

Got the ridge board/beam, knew that one.

3. Which land characteristic has the most influence on value? Immobility, scarcity, indestructability or uniqueness.

Instructor says.... Immobility as in "Location, location, location", Scarcity was my 1st choice too. Any thoughs on this one anybody?

I've taken the practice tests in Fisher and Tosh and passed both first try, but am boning up on the weak stuff now. Income Cap and Depreciation is today's torture of choice. :(

Where I would depart from your instructor is
Only an appraiser would depart, everyone else would disagree... :rofl:

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
Steve:

I am going to offer the advice a wise old instructor offered me as I sat in a hallway cramming the night before an important appriasal exam:
I think you need to go have a beer.

As you trudge through your test, count up the number you have right and KNOW it, then figure the percentages... when you get to the appropriate number and I am sure you will well within in the first half of the allotted time frame, relax and enjoy the rest of the exam.

Sadly, much of the stuff you get tested on has very little to do with competency in day to day workload.

I am QUITE certain that you will do fine.

BTW I think I missed that one on MY exam, I went back and studied my uncertains, misses and guesses, of which there were few... and then frankly never felt the need to look at them again unless a newbie asks a question about an upcoming exam :p

:asleep:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks