• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

States continue to grow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
Daily Real Estate News | December 27, 2007
Fastest-Growing States in West, South
Nevada regained the title of fastest-growing state with its population increasing by 2.9 percent to 2.6 million through July 2007.

Nevada had held that title for 19 years in a row before being dethroned by Arizona last year. Arizona is the second-fastest-growing stat,e according to the current estimate, with a population increase of 2.8 percent to 6.3 million, according to the U.S. Census Bureau’s annual estimate of state population changes.

Florida saw the sharpest fall off in population growth. Florida grew 1.07 percent, only slightly faster than the U.S. growth rate of 0.96 percent and the slowest growth rate in the state since 1990, making it the 19th fastest-growing state.

The only two states in the country to lose population were Michigan and Rhode Island. Michigan lost 30,500 residents, a 0.3 percent decline.

The 10 fastest-growing states in order are:

Nevada
Arizona
Utah
Idaho
Georgia
North Carolina
Texas
Colorado
Wyoming
South Carolina

Source: The Associated Press, John Dunbar (12/26/07)

Couch Potato

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
The one I find most interesting is that Georgia is growing faster than Florida; not just as a percentage, but also in raw numbers. The high cost of housing is putting a real damper on growth in Florida.

David Beasley

Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Yeah Mike, I saw that data yesterday. Explains a lot of why NC is feeling the slowdown, but hasn't totally tanked. Between the Triangle's growth, the Charlotte (virtual NASCAR HQ) area and the expansion of forces at Ft. Bragg, this state is definitely growing. And this can't include everyone that's moved to NC in the past decade either since a large, measurable share are off the census grid here (as in undocumented Mexican/Central American immigrants). Should be interesting to see that covered as a NC gubernatorial topic in this election year...along with the drought, taxes, crappy roads, not enough schools, lol...

And no, I am not xenophobic, just discussing my state's stats in a sober reality that you won't find in most mainstream (ie: AP) media stories.

CCAAMO

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
I think with new construction in the tank, you may see those figures for Nevada and Arizona go the other way in 2008. California may also see a net loss of popualtion based on the economy and taxes.

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
Texas just keeps growing. Inexpensive housing, job opportunities, etc. Doesn't mean things are rosy. Just that they're not as bad as, say, Detroit or Cleveland.

Riick

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Delaware
Over 1,600 people moved to Delaware last year, jumping our population by close to 3% :rof:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks