• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Stats For The Buyers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Horton

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Alabama
As Appraisers we probably would interested in different Statistics than the average buyer would. What do you think you think buyers of homes would be interested in?

Average days on the market?
Number of homes sold and listed?
Average sales prices?
What else?

Richard Carlsen

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
Jeff

The only other one that I can think of is the list price/selling price percentage.

Although when I was selling real estate, one stat that I used for both my listing presentations and when I worked as a buyers agent was the ratio of sales to expired's. I called this the success ratio. It told the seller that just because a house was listed, it did not necessarily sell and it told the buyer, especially when compared to say the last two years numbers, just how "soft" the market was.

P.S. Spending Tuesday in my kayak on the Pine River here in Michigan with two longtime friends from Kalamazoo. We do this every year, refi's or no refi's.

Patrick Egger

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Nevada
Jeff ...

I think buyers would be interested in appreciation of homes in a given area, what different home improvements add to home values may be another ... length of home ownership in a given area, average size/price/age in a given area to show how their home compares ...

Jeff Horton

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Alabama
Thanks Richard, I chart most of those each month so I have the data already. Might be a good thing to include.

Originally posted by Patrick Egger@Aug 24 2003, 11:51 AM
I think buyers would be interested in appreciation of homes in a given area, what different home improvements add to home values may be another ... length of home ownership in a given area, average size/price/age in a given area to show how their home compares ...

I would like some of the data you have mentioned too! :mrgreen:

Unfortunately I don't have an easy way to tract it each month. I think your right, those would be good stats to know! I pull data from the MLS each month and reconstitute it into something that is understandable. However I don't know any easyway to gather the data your suggested.

Patrick Egger

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Nevada
Jeff ...

Some of the data may be available from your MLS if they archive stats ... in my market, you can get lots of different housing statistical information from the planning department, local university, local HUD office, etc. I know you're in a small market, but you should be able to get some historical data from the sources I mentioned.

You can also check out HUD online, along with fedstats, the census website, etc. They all have historical housing information by census tract and or zip codes, SMSA's, etc. I would give a call or website check to your local county planning department along with the state. Most states have a demographer that collects population information along with housing counts and statistics.

American Fact Finder

If I think of some others, I'll let you know

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks