• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Stock market trading question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Seward

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
I have a small IRA account with one stock (an ETF) in it. Monday of this week, I sold the stock and bought another stock with the proceeds.
Tuesday morning, I sold the second stock. The broker notified me that I had sold a security purchased with unsettled funds and my account would be placed on a 90 day trading restriction.

Does that make any sense at all?

My thought is that Monday's trades will settle today, (Thursday) while Tuesday's sale will settle tomorrow, (Friday).

Any thoughts?

3 Putt

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Ohio
T+3 = trading day plus 3 more to settle. In the old days, when people actually held stock certificates, they had to allow time for you to get to the office with the actual stock certificate.

The money from the stock you sold Monday will not be yours to keep or use until Thursday. Sounds like the amount you used on Tuesday to buy, dipped into the funds from the stock sold on Monday.

They don't want you to day trading the account. Hope that helps.

Mike Seward

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
I used the money from the stock I sold on Monday to immediately buy a second stock. They had no problem with that. They had a problem with my selling the second stock on Tuesday morning.

Is this a rule particular to that Broker (E-Trade), an exchange rule or because it was an IRA account?

murray stroupe

Professional Status
General Public
State
Tennessee
Cool Thoughts

I have a small IRA account with one stock (an ETF) in it. Monday of this week, I sold the stock and bought another stock with the proceeds.
Tuesday morning, I sold the second stock. The broker notified me that I had sold a security purchased with unsettled funds and my account would be placed on a 90 day trading restriction.

Does that make any sense at all?

My thought is that Monday's trades will settle today, (Thursday) while Tuesday's sale will settle tomorrow, (Friday).

Any thoughts?
===============
Mike ;
Varies from broker to broker;
perhaps it should not because of various security laws.

Actually the brokers would probably prefer not to even have that law;
more commissions for them.
==================================================

And some got in trouble with the regulators because of that,free riding , i think they call that transgretion.

Fidelity accused me of breaking that law years back;told them you may be right, but I am not NOW ,nor do i want to be, a sec lawyer. Better trade a smaller % of account anyway-Cool as snow

And depending on th %% you used of your account;
almost certainly broker is right, most of them don't like that law,
but we have to respect it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks