• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

Strangest Thing.....Regarding EDI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlotte Dixon

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Delaware
I previously was computer illiterate, but now I choose to say I'm still on the learning curve. This has me stumped.

1 1/2 years ago, when I started sending my appraisals over the internet, I had a terrible time keeping my file sizes down. They were always at 2 KB or more. Now they're below 1 KB, sometimes much below. I upgraded to version 6.0 Outlook Express. Would that do it? My Comcast Cable Co. sent me a notice that they were upgrading in February and that my bill was going up $1.00/month. Would that do it? I don't have to squeeze my files or remove anything anymore. You experts out there: Why? :?:

Jeff Horton

Professional Status
State
Alabama
I upgraded to version 6.0 Outlook Express. Would that do it?

My Comcast Cable Co. sent me a notice that they were upgrading in February and that my bill was going up $1.00/month. Would that do it?

No and no.

Adobe compresses you file so maybe you change something in there? I changed my settings a few months back and lowered my file size too.

Perhaps you are writing smaller reports? Less addendum's?

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Georgia
Unknowingly change your camera settings to lower quality?

Charlotte Dixon

Professional Status
State
Delaware
Nothing! Don't send a smaller file, didn't change settings on Adobe, didn't change camera settings......

I just sent an appraisal with a flood map, full of dark flood plain area, subject photos (4), 3 comp photos, plat map scanned it, and 11 other pages, including geolocator color map.....1.1 KB Total...18 months ago I was chopping, shrinking and sweating, trying to get the file down to 2 KB. I just don't get it; but it's nice!

airphoto

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
Perhaps switched from the ordinary Adobe Writer to Distiller?

Tejus

Professional Status
State
Texas
Several comments:

- Your pdf files are probably 1-2 mb, not kb.

- The majority of your pdf file size consists of images included in the pdf file.

- If you've seen a significant decrease in your pdf file size, then your images are being handled differently. You need to review the software used to create the pdf file to determine where the change occurred. Most likely, your image resolution has been reduced somewhere in your appraisal process.

- My pdf files are < 500 kb. I've optimized my appraisal report sw to limit the file size and reduce email transfer time. The same report generated in other appraisal sw resulted in a report approx 2x (or more) larger.

cheers.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
Sure sounds like you have changed from adobe writer to distiller. And yes you mean 1mb not kb ....I would kill to have appraisal files that small.

MSN offered a special program for larger files recently too.

Ben Vukicevich SRA

Professional Status
State
New Jersey
Charlotte,

Your files size for an appraisal that you mentioned should be around 300-400K, maybe less using Distiller. If your setting jumped to Writer, the files sizes will be larger.

In your case, my best guess would be that something changed the print settings in Adobe. There are things called Job Options and the choices are Press, Screen and Print Optimized. I had them change when loading new software and then huge files sizes were created. You'll have to switch back to your previous job option setting, if you can remember it.

If you need help checking things out with Distiller, email me and we can walk through it.

Was down in exciting Townsend yesterday ..I'm still jealous of those DE taxes...

Ben

Bill_FL

Professional Status
State
Florida
The other questions is what appraisal software do you use? If it is Alamode, was there an update that perhaps addressed the way the files are changed into pdf?

Jo Ann Meyer Stratton

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Arizona
I got a new scanner several weeks ago and now my appraisal file sizes have dropped dramatically. I have higher resolution settings on my new scanner than I did on the old, it also scans in color, where the old one scanned in black and white--but my scanned maps are smaller on the new machine compared to the old! Have no idea why--but it did have a nice effect on appraisal file size. The only problem I am having is that the new scanner has too new of twain driver for Day One to handle. With the old scanner I could access my scanner directly from Day One Image and scan directly to the exhibit page. With the new scanner I have to scan in the HP program, it becomes a tif file, so then I have to save it as a jpeg file. After I have scanned all my documents, then go back to my file in Day One and then access the jpeg files to drag to the exhibit pages. Can't decide whether the program hassle offsets the advantage of smaller file size!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks