• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Strategy's For Effectively Reviwing One's Own Work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metamorphic

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
Just thought I'd throw this out there to see if anybody has any good strategies for taking a 2nd look with a fresh eye at the appraisal report they just wrote.

In my previous profession I'd typically have stuff peer reviewed, sent through the tech editors, or just put it away for 3 or 4 days without looking at it.

With appraising I'm finding I'm having trouble as my own editor, and I was hoping other's would have some ideas on how to address this. Of course at this point I have my supervisor reviewing all my stuff but he wont always be there and in the meanwhile I'd like to give him as little as possible to find.

Kevin A. Spellman

Professional Status
State
Massachusetts
I just did three reports of the same houses in the same subdivision all within two weeks. I corrected two reports with stupid errors. I read better in the morning than at the end of the day.

Mztk1

Professional Status
State
Florida
I simply clear my head. The trouble with reviewing your own work is you tend to think you know what is written so you start to skim instead of reading word by word, or looking at adjsutments line by line. Keep your head clear and focus on the report word by word. That's what works for me.

Rufus

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Indiana
Proofread carefully to see if you any words out. :laugh:

I do not clone old reports. I go through the form in order with the cursor touching every blank so I make sure I have an appropriate response for each item.

Check the comps grid for wrong-way adjustments. Although I am considerably better at it, this used to be my biggest mistake.

Re-read your comments pretending you are in an ivory tower somewhere and see if they lead you to the proper conclusions.

Run spell check.

Print the report and read it again. For some reason I seem to catch mistakes on the printed copy more easily than reading from the screen.

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Michigan
That is the hardest part of working by yourself. My wife reviews all of my reports for grammar, sentence structure and spelling (as does spell check). The problem is not having someone giving feedback on an income approach where it is all Greek to her.

I have a CG in mind up here that I may torture with some of my approaches to value if he won't mind. I have another resource who is good at reading reports but I need a "friend" to help me with income approaches mainly.

Sometimes it is lonely being alone.

Professional Status
State
Connecticut
Your a trainee don't you need a supervisor to sign your reports, if so s/he needs to review the report before signing it.

Darrel Clark

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Utah
I find that cloning a report and trying to change the appropriate items generally leads to the very most errors. I agree with the post from “Rufus”, as you fill out a form go through every field. When I am finished, I first run spell check and then take time to read the report, re-check addresses, tax serial numbers, comparable property addresses, sale prices – essentially everything. Especially don’t forget to look at any “canned” comments. When I have had a trainee, I have seen them time after time saying things in the canned comments that either don’t apply to the particular appraisal or are just wrong for that particular appraisal. It takes time and practice to get good at catching your own errors.

I commend you for taking this part of the job seriously. So many trainees don’t worry about it and just figure that their supervisor will catch any errors.

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Get set up with a couple other local appraisers and arrange to read/review each others reports...

Mike Boyd

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
I don't know about other softwear but ClickForms has a reviewing program that checks for subject matter you may have left out, unchecked boxes, etc. However, it is not a complete review. I agree about not cloning reports. We are all a bit lazy and that's where problems can start.

If you have anyone in your life that will look at a report......you can ask them if the report makes sense to them. However, appraisal reports are very boring and if you ask them week after week, they may not be in your life much longer.

You hafta learn to do it yourself. Just take the time, go over it line by line. If you do that, and there are still some errors......well, that's what underwriters are for.

Chris Colston

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Your a trainee don't you need a supervisor to sign your reports, if so s/he needs to review the report before signing it.

Did you miss this sentence?

Of course at this point I have my supervisor reviewing all my stuff but he wont always be there and in the meanwhile I'd like to give him as little as possible to find.

Something I have found useful, besides having my husband read through the report, is printing it. I find when I read it off the screen my brain skips over because I know what I was trying to say. When I print it, the lettering changes in the brain and I find the typos and missing adjustments or backwards adjustments, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks