• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

stuck by my guns, might of lost a client.again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renee Borne

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Arizona
client requested 2 listings. I put them in the report for information purposes ONLY. They are not weighted. (I would never use a listing if I have plenty of closed sales). Got a call from a reviewer and they wanted to know why the listings were higher than what I came in at. I told him that's because they are listings and you can ask for the stars but doesn't mean that you will get it. He tried to tell me that they do not support a declining market. I explained to him I was not using them to support that, I put them in the report because you requested it. Normally I do not even bother with adjustments for listings. He wanted me to weight them and I told him no. He was an appraiser but I strongly disagreed with him. Of course it would of changed the value since they were higher than what I came in at. Then I started to throw around the USPAP word, etc. He finally got the message that I would not comply with what he wanted and he went away but I think I lost another one.

Was I right? Should I start being more flexible for the sake of my family and finances. Was there a compromise?

UGGGHHH

Thanks

Tawfik Ahdab

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Oregon
"Should I start being more flexible for the sake of my family and finances"

No, no, and no!

Who's the appraiser, you or the reviewer?

Telling YOU how to do your job or how to weight your comps goes beyond review.

The reviewer may be violating the competency rule if he/she doesn't know your market.

Ray Miller

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Wisconsin
Was I right? Should I start being more flexible for the sake of my family and finances. Was there a compromise?

UGGGHHH

Thanks

There is the right way and the wrong way.

Had a lawyer call me yesterday and wanted an appraisal done for a divorce. The stopper he had all the sales I needed for comparables. He needed to make a value so his client would go out ok. Would I look at his comparables and let him know if I could get the value they needed.

I tried to get him to email the instruction but he would not do that. So I lost a client. So be it.

Then today lost another lawyer client, new referal. I was to high for a couple of land appraisals @$450 ea. and she needed them tomorrow. I was under bid by both price and time. Just got a call for her staff that said they had found some one else. So be it 10/12 inches of snow on the ground rural land appraisals. How much you want to bet they go out and take a look at the subject acreage and snowmobile or snow shoe it.

To many appraisers worrying about feeding the family. Yet there not earning enought to keep the business going. Just this month E & O insurance $750, Gen. Lib $2500, Realtor Membership $550, MLS for the year for five data bases $2900. Software $1300, Gas over three dollars a gallon. ISP fee's $360 for the year. Not counting my AI membership, ERC Membership that are all due. And you want to pay what??????????

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Would adjusting the listings for the current market list to sell ratio have brought them in line with your value? FWIW, I would think that there would be listings that did help support your Declining market comments etc. Why were those not used? Just asking, kinda like a review appraiser, on the opposite coast.:)

Peter LeQuire

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Tennessee
Anybody - anybody - who offers you low fee, instant turnaround work isn't a client. A client is someone who procures the services of a professional: these people who would steer the result, refuse a reasonable fee or not allow time for completing an adequate, compliant report ain't clients.

What they are? You decide.

Jozsef Poor

Professional Status
State
Florida
I have +-200 MB company in my computer. If I would start to count how many I lost because of NON cooperation from my side, probably I would become angry and burn my appraiser license. The companies I work with are returning clients because of fast and reliable service, with a solid report.

Kevin Mc

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New York
nope.

Should I start being more flexible for the sake of my family and finances. Was there a compromise?

not that I can see. No one can tell you what to do on your appraisal. They may discuss what you did, but they cannot instruct you how to appraise(unless of course there is a major issue which there isn't) If you lose the client make sure you report everyone involved to the state and CC them just to ruin their day.

JRS at OBX

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
The compromise would have been to make the requested changes and send it in without a signature. After you put their changes into the report, it's not YOUR report anymore. Let him sign it. :rof:

Fred Freund

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Massachusetts
I've had requests like that in the past. I always ask the requestor, regardless of who they are, for their license number. "If you want me to make those changes I need to add you into the report as having contributed and I need to specify your license." Usually puts and end to that sort of thing.

Hamlet

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Ohio
The compromise would have been to make the requested changes and send it in without a signature. After you put their changes into the report, it's not YOUR report anymore. Let him sign it. :rof:

PERFECT, except I'd just send a blank report and tell 'em to fill it out theirself. Otherwise they owe you for typing services. :rof: :new_2gunsfiring_v1:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks