• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Studying for FHA 10 question test

Status
Not open for further replies.

appraisalaska

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Alaska
I am within two weeks of getting my license back from the state certifying me (I'm a trainee right now, but the state verified they have what they need and I'm just waiting for them to sign my cert.) and I want to get ahead of the game with my FHA/HUD application ready to go. Is there any extra book, online course, etc. that I should really take before applying for FHA approval? I found the manual to read though that the test questions are based off but didn't know if there was any extra help that would be worth my time and money.

Thanks in advance

David Beasley

Professional Status
State
North Carolina
I would highly recommend an FHA appraising class. Just find one near you or online, the rules are the rules and each of them should be similar enough to work for you. I took an online FHA class from McKissock a year or several ago for CE, and it was OK. If you like to ask lots of questions though, or to pick an instructor's brain, or fellow appraiser's brains, better to find a live class going on somewhere.

Also, plug in www.hudclips.org to your internet browser's favorites list. You can find the "manual" (4150.2), appendices and mortgagee letters dating back to 1976 there (though most important ones for us are 2005 and forward). *MOST* FHA appraisal related questions have been answered somewhere in some document or another at HUDClips, you just have to learn how to search/use it properly - which can take some time to learn to do. I'd suggest you start practicing with it now. :)

TXCBoy36

Professional Status
State
Colorado
Look for any availble FHA appraisal classes that are being offered in your area or online, if possible.

JC

VolcanoLvr

Professional Status
State
Washington
Per an appraiser friend of mine who just took the 10 question test, the answers are 'required' to be word-for-word out of the 4150.2 manual and the revised Appendix D.

So look for the test questions here on the AF or elsewhere, then study the above documents thoroughly.

The test is 'open book' so if you can find the correct answer wording for each question, it should be relatively easy.

Walter Kirk

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
New Jersey
Since this test is "open book" and the answers are to be copied verbatum from the HUD manual why hasn't someone published a test guide with the required answers or at least the page numbers?

Alison Swain

Professional Status
State
Florida
Spring for the $125 and take AI's online class. Very worthwhile --- and you can download and print the course materials for future reference.

Riick

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Delaware
Good Lord people -- it's an open book test. :shrug:

~~The manual is available in PDF format

~~~~~~Has NO ONE ever heard of the "search" function? :new_newbie:

RTFM ~~~RTFM ~~~RTFM ~~~RTFM ~~~RTFM ~~~RTFM ~~~RTFM !!

Marcia Langley

Professional Status
State
Missouri
Alaska,

As for just passing the test, it is open book as the others have said. The 'book' in question is the FHA Handbook which is on line and once you find the answer you can just cut and paste.

But the class is extremely important to do before you do any appraisals. AI's on line class is excellent, as Allison said, you can also print it all out as a reference guide.

If you take the class first, you will become familiar with the material and you may have an easier time finding the answers to the test questions.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
Yeah, download the manual in .pdf format to your hard drive, you will need it anyway. Read the test question, go to the manual and cut and paste it onto the test, word for word.

Couch Potato

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
That's too hard!

Good Lord people -- it's an open book test. :shrug:

~~The manual is available in PDF format

~~~~~~Has NO ONE ever heard of the "search" function? :new_newbie:

RTFM ~~~RTFM ~~~RTFM ~~~RTFM ~~~RTFM ~~~RTFM ~~~RTFM !!
What a strange idea, Riick. Where do you come up with this ridiculous stuff? :rof:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks