• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Subject Accros The Street From A Church

Status
Not open for further replies.

spiderman

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Arizona
Isn't this some kind of bias or discrimination?

Client has requested the appraiser "Appraiser to provide additional commentary and clarification regarding the Subject and the External Obsolescence. Specifically there is a House of Worship Across the Street. "

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
It should have been mentioned and if it complies with zoning and parking does not interfere with the traffic flow, I would presume it hardly unique in not being a factor, but it should have been mentioned and dismissed.

Artemis Fowl

Professional Status
State
Michigan
Isn't this some kind of bias or discrimination?

Client has requested the appraiser "Appraiser to provide additional commentary and clarification regarding the Subject and the External Obsolescence. Specifically there is a House of Worship Across the Street. "
That there is a church across the street is a fact. Report it as such and discuss valuation-related issues (if any). Bias or discrimination has nothing to do with it.

EDIT: If a typical buyer is going to consider that influence (or lack thereof) you should have discussed it. IMO you introduced bias into your report. Deliberate omission of relevant factual data results in a misleading report.

Last edited:

Walter Kirk

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
New Jersey
There are several reasons why a potential buyer could object to purchasing a house adjacent to a church. 1) parking can be a problem during services. 2) church activities during the evening
3) a large partially unused building rather than other residences as a neighbor.
I once had a conversation with a man who lived next to a church who complained that he felt strange when mowing his lawn or working in his yard when funeral services were conducted next door.
On the other hand a location close to a house of worship may have value to members of the congregation, this is true of some Jewish families who want to live within walking distance.

BerryAppraisals

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Michigan
Why is the client calling it obsolescence?

I would think because it could possibly be noisy at times or one could argue that being located across the street from a parking lot could be an adverse factor. Of course you would have to be able to extract an adjustment for it, which is a littler harder than extracting for let's say a busy road.

But I do agree it has to at least be mentioned and if it's not an obsolescence, then just state that. It most likely isn't but the location needs to be mentioned.

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Michigan
I would think because it could possibly be noisy at times or one could argue that being located across the street from a parking lot could be an adverse factor. Of course you would have to be able to extract an adjustment for it, which is a littler harder than extracting for let's say a busy road.

But I do agree it has to at least be mentioned and if it's not an obsolescence, then just state that. It most likely isn't but the location needs to be mentioned.

My point is that the client says it is bad knowing nothing; they are saying it is bad without any reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks