• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Subtle Bribe Offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwand125

Freshman Member
Dear friends,
Appraissing a dump that looks to be about 30k below what the LO wants, HO said in a subtle way "Do you need cash" are you sure, are you sure. This was when I was done and said no and left immediately. Very shady guy. What is the appropriate action to take I am prepared to turn appraisal in at my opinion of value which is low and appropriate obviously but I am wondering what to do if anything about the offer. Should I tell some one or just turn it in.

Thanks
JAy

TEL2002

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Louisiana
With no witnesses it becomes a 'he said - she said' kind of thing.

Just write them off as a client. Do not return their calls in the future - just pretend they no longer exist.

Make a note about the conversation/date/time/who and put it with your work file.

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
TE is right. Just make your notes in your file about it and continue on your way. I do hope you already have your regular fee COD!

So disgusting.

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
'Course you could have accepted the"bonus" and still come in at where it was supposed to. Would've taught the guy a lesson. :D

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
All he was saying was " should I pay you in cash up front" Wink, Wink!

My reply would have been...."Ahhhh, six or seven million would be enough to make up for the legal costs and me spending a few years in jail. Should I go get a suitcase?"

Geoff Hatcher

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Ohio
Had a situation about five years ago, guy takes me to lunch and offers me $10,000 to $15,000 cash under the table in addition to my typical fee, if I could support a 8% to 8.5% cap rate on a large 250+ unit apartment complex he was trying to purchase, when market extracted rates for that type of property with its location were in the 10.5% to 11% range... did not walk, ran far and fast.

Jeff Horton

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Alabama
If I am ever offered a bribe like that I am going to stall on giving and answer and contact the FBI (or whoever) and see if they want to pursue it.

I had a loan officer hint at one over the phone and I set him straight really quick. A moment latter it hit me I should have stalled and called someone and got this guy out of the business. I won't make that mistake twice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks