• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Suggestions For Finding New Clients - Work Is Very Slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jess B Smith

Freshman Member
Good afternoon,

This is humbling to say the least, but I need to put food on the table. I'm a one man office and for +/- 10 years have relied on one client, as they were somewhat exclusive as to who they included on their appraisal panel.
That changed recently. They have opened up their panel to the majority of appraisers, and work from this long time client has slowed to a trickle.
I have not had to knock on doors for work for a long time now, and I am completely out of practice. Do local banks assign appraisal requests these days, or is most of it done through AMC's? Are there particular AMC's that are better to work for than others, and are there any recommendations as to how to get on their approved appraiser lists? Am I better off going in person to local mortgage companies to try and get on their approved appraiser lists?
Any constructive advice will be appreciated.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
Do local banks assign appraisal requests these days, or is most of it done through AMC's?
Wow, I lost a client pretty much like that once...too many eggs in your one basket. ID local bankers, regional bankers and ask the loan officers. Many want only evaluations now, cheap. But try to get on their lists. Credit unions ditto. Shoe leather...you been hiding in a hole too long. Small banks rarely use AMC's but may have credit dept., or use a portal, like RIMS.

Learn to do a narrative or GP form and get your biz card to CPA's and estate/tax lawyers IN PERSON. You have time, take a writing narrative reports class. Also, create three reports using friends houses for demo purposes thus avoiding redaction. Two forms, one narrative.

You are really behind the eight ball at this point. Can't see your exact location, but if in agri country, you might consider taking ag courses and getting your CG.

Jess B Smith

Freshman Member
Mr. Shields,
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I do indeed feel behind the 8 ball, and I'm the bread winner, so I need to figure this out. Haven't had to knock on doors since 2009, and I had pretty much convinced myself those days were behind me. Pride goeth before..., and all that good stuff. Thanks again.

AMF13

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
Be picky about AMCs. Some of them are not so hot to work with, I hear.
To put it nicely.

bnmappraisal

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
Are there particular AMC's that are better to work for than others, and are there any recommendations as to how to get on their approved appraiser lists?
DEFINITELY check out the "Good, Bad, Ugly" section of this forum since you are a member. That will help weed out some of the ones you DON'T want to work with

Meandering

Elite Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
Pennsylvania
Good afternoon,

This is humbling to say the least, but I need to put food on the table. I'm a one man office and for +/- 10 years have relied on one client, as they were somewhat exclusive as to who they included on their appraisal panel.
That changed recently. They have opened up their panel to the majority of appraisers, and work from this long time client has slowed to a trickle.
I have not had to knock on doors for work for a long time now, and I am completely out of practice. Do local banks assign appraisal requests these days, or is most of it done through AMC's? Are there particular AMC's that are better to work for than others, and are there any recommendations as to how to get on their approved appraiser lists? Am I better off going in person to local mortgage companies to try and get on their approved appraiser lists?
Any constructive advice will be appreciated.

Hello Mr. Smith.
Welcome to the Forum.

How come it does not say your are an appraiser in your profile?

Did you think it not important for us to know if you are or are not an appraiser and the level of your license?

Jess B Smith

Freshman Member
Hello Mr. Smith.
Welcome to the Forum.

How come it does not say your are an appraiser in your profile?

Did you think it not important for us to know if you are or are not an appraiser and the level of your license?

I am a general certified appraiser in Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks