• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Supervisory Appraiser

Status
Not open for further replies.

sueinprescott

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Arizona
I've never heard of this one...can another appraiser sign as supervisory appraiser without your knowledge? from another appraisal company, in another City? :blink:

Dee Dee

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
Do you mind if I ask where you heard this?

sueinprescott

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Arizona
this happened to me (today) on one of my reports...an inhouse reviewer called me and asked me if I knew the supervisory appraiser that "I must be working under"? I work alone. My point is...Can that happen? and what do we know who signs a report etc. after it leaves us? and why would someone do it or even take on that responsibility without knowing the area? I could go on and on...I'm furious. :angry:

Dee Dee

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
Sue,
I can't remember....what is your current license status?
Did the reviewer say that someone else had actually signed your report without your knowledge?

Oregon Doug

Professional Status
General Public
State
Oregon
Sue - I hope I got this right:

1) you are a licensed/certified appraiser in your state (AZ?)

2) you completed a residential appraisal (by yourself) and signed it as the appraiser (you don't need a supervisory appraiser to sign your reports).

3) the assignment is within the scope or limits of your license.

4) Some reviewer has taken it upon him/herself to sign your appraisal as your supervisor.

5) that reviewer is not your supervisor (nor has that reviewer inspected the property).

6) how do you know this to be true - do you have (can you get) a copy of your appraisal with that "supervisor's" signature?

If you don't have a copy of the report with the supervisory signature, then you don't have evidence to back up your statement - it's hearsey. If you do have a copy, then it becomes a different issue entirely.

If memory serves me right (rarely), AZ is a manditory state. I understand that the reviewer is in your state but from another appraisal company in another city. Is that reviewer a licensed/certified appraiser in your state (unlicensed appraisal activity). The "supervisor" has to have signed the Certification page also - read # 8. If this has ocurred, then you can file a complaint with your sate's appraisal board.

There are other places you can persue issues such as this if you so desire. Check with your state's AG office to see if this falls into the category of forgery. Forging a document (appraisal) used in a federally regulated mortgage is quite serious.

Oregon Doug

sueinprescott

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Arizona
Oregon Doug,

Answers to statements 1-5 are "yes", Question #6 - The reviewer is from another State, and per conversation with him today, he was auditing this other licensed appraiser's work and remembered seeing my name on the reports with him. Then asked me if I knew him, I said I didn't, he said "interesting".

Trust me I will follow up on this and have a copy forwarded to me. I still don't understand why another licensed appraiser would take this upon himself. Another strange twist is that I EDI my reports to this Lender, so someone printed it and then signed?

Dee Dee, my current license status is: active since 1992.

Dee Dee

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
Sue,
My gut tells me that this reviewer is confused (gee...that never happens ;) ). As you suggested, it's not to any other licensed appraisers advantage to sign your report....so why would they?
If indeed the reviewer can produce a copy of your appraisal with this other appraiser's signature as well, he should be committed, not prosecuted.

sueinprescott

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Arizona
:confused: not sure. Only thing I don't really like is being part of his audit.

D

Dean House

This happened to a friend of mine. He submitted his appraisal to the mortgage company but he had been removed from their lenders approved ist. They called my friend back to have someone else in his office sign off on the deal. However, he was the only certified appraiser in his company, only having two other staff members who were both trainees. It turns out that the mortgage company went to someone at another appraisal firm who was on the lenders approved list, they also signed my friends report and the lender accepted it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks