• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Survival money

Status
Not open for further replies.

J Grant

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
Some appraisers are stuck with no work, or caving in to extremely low fees or silly assignments like the $8 home inspection mentioned elsewhere.

Till times get better, thought it would be good to have a thread on survival money, ways for people to make extra money while they regroup and help peple hold out for reasonable, if reduced AMC fees.
my contribution of ideas that don't take enormous time to get qualified for, can work immediatly and combine with appraising:

Process server: ( I didn't do it, but looked into it, know someone doing it making good $) you need to take a quickie class and exam administered by the court or county ( at least in Florida) and that's it...whole process takes about a month. Pay is $10-$30 per serving of papers, and my friend said the courts are swamped with volume and you can stay busy, also flexible hours so can combined with appraising.

Subsitute teacher: you get on the list, need a class depending on school district, pay is average but flexible and they need people almost every day depending on where you live. can be combined with appraising.

Please add to the list!

LuckyLucy48

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
I have friends making serious $$ buying and re-selling political gear (T shirts, yard signs, bumper stickers, buttons) from a table set up in a shopping center near a junior college. And, as a byproduct, they are registering TONS of young voters.
T

PropertyEconomics

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New Mexico
I have started purchasing 1 oz silver bars ... they can make me money while I do nothin .. IF ... this goes as I think its gonna go.

Professional Status
State
Montana
Substitute Teaching

I am surprised no one has mentioned substitute teaching. I did it for awhile when I was in transition when I was getting my credentials. Mostly is was presiding over study halls. I thought I knew something about managing since I managed hotels for 32 years. Try managing a class room with 30 teenagers. I count my substitute teaching days as one of my life's failures. I just was not good at maintaining good order. But for others, it might be a nice way to keep some cash coming in.

I also worked for for a company that needed photographs and measurements of homes for insurance purposes. The pay is meager, however. I don't recommend it with gas prices the way they are unless you use a bike or scooter.

I did better working for other appraisers. If things really fell apart, I would sign up to do appraising for the State Department of Revenue. In Montana, there is a shortage of state appraisers.

Doug

J Grant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
at least BPO work spays better than $8 inspections

re making money, I heard about someone buying Playboy magazines and reselling them a few months later on Ebay for a profit. I don't get why people wold pay more do they become collectors items? there are probably a lot of intersting stuff like that if one can find the right niche!

mp2277

Professional Status
State
Virginia
Actually, if you have the cash and the [email protected]%%$ it is a great time to buy foreclosures, spend a few bucks and fix them up, let them go on lease purchases with 2 year buy outs. At least in my market where we haven't been hit so hard, it's a good idea. Worst case, you end up with a long term rental investment. We must remember, more millionairs are made during economic downturns than any other time. Use the cash that hopefully you have saved/invested during the good times wisely and you may be the next Donald!

The Warrior Monk

Staff member
Professional Status
State
New York
The fees paid for BPOs simply aren't worth it. It's like doing an appraisal for 1/3 of the price paid by a low-paying AMC. Plus many aren't doing it legally anyway.

timd354

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
I have started purchasing 1 oz silver bars ... they can make me money while I do nothin .. IF ... this goes as I think its gonna go.

Precious metals appear to be an excellent hedge against the coming hyperinflation that is very likely. Even better yet if you buy the precious metals using credit since you will be able to pay off the debts with inflated currency that is essentially worthless.

PropertyEconomics

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New Mexico
Precious metals appear to be an excellent hedge against the coming hyperinflation that is very likely. Even better yet if you buy the precious metals using credit since you will be able to pay off the debts with inflated currency that is essentially worthless.

Perhaps a good idea Tim ... my philosophy right now is NO DEBT ... so Im gonna stick with that. Funny how those worthless dollars are still dollars nonetheless and they have to be paid back. It may be why I will never be rich, but will also be why I dont think I will ever be broke either.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks