• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

Syncronizing Folders???

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanwhitelaw

Freshman Member
I just recently bought a laptop, and I wanted to know if there is an easy way to link my REPORT folder on my laptop with my REPORT folder on my desktop. This way... I know that I'm always working on the latest and greatest report. The machines are already networked together, and I'm running XP Home Edition on both. Any info would be great. Thanks.

~Ryan

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
Just set your default file open to the master computer file where your files are, such as ryanc:appraisalfiles then set your laptop to back up the files to the laptop. That way, you have two copies of the report if you lose your network connection.

By the way, you can set the file location by using the Browse function

Roger Strahan.

Joker

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Ohio
Ryan,
I guess I am one step behind you. I recently purchased a laptop to use as a second computer, and for occasional out of the office work. The computer geeks I talked to do not agree on how to network the two together. I have been told that I need a dedicated server, that I need a router, that I can do it simply through a USB connection, and that I can use a notebook to PC direct Ethernet connection. I so not know who to believe. Since you have already networked the two together, would you mind sharing how to do it?

Thanks,
Doug

Head Surfer

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Just set your default file open to the master computer file where your files are, such as ryanc:appraisal files then set your laptop to back up the files to the laptop. That way, you have two copies of the report if you lose your network connection.

By the way, you can set the file location by using the Browse function

Roger Strahan.

Works great except if you use your Notebook away from your network, which is likely, after all being mobile is the purpose of having a notebook computer. I am not talking about just moving around the office or home, I am talking about taking it away from your physical network location. Also you are limited to 1 set of files on the 1 computer. If you sync files you always have 2 identical sets, on 2 different computers, great for backup purposes should 1 computer go south.

For file synchronization I recommend some type of file sync software. Currently I use Vice Versa from: http://www.tgrmn.com/

I tried out about 10 different sync software programs and this is the lesser of the evils. It does lack some features which I would like, but it seems to be faster than the others. Also you can try it before you buy it, very important if you have ever been stuck with dumb software before (and who hasn't?)

I have my settings to sync my email (the lifeblood of my business), my documents, the folders I keep my web design and server files in, in all about 22,000 files. So I can go from one computer to the other and the same files (and most recent) will be there.

It does take some discipline to get used to this. For example when I get through working on my desktop and think I will probably use my laptop next, I sync them up using the desktop as the source and the laptop as target. I have a pre-built settings file that remembers the files I want synced. The same when I am going the other way, from notebook to desktop, however then the notebook is the source and the desktop the target.

Jeff Horton

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Alabama
I have been told that I need a dedicated server,
Nope, you don't "HAVE" to. Might be nice but not a have too

that I need a router,
Thats what I use and it works well. I have a high-speed internet connection and after doing some looking that was the best option for me. It allows me to share the connection with the laptop and share files and printers too. Wasn't too bad to set up. I found a really good web site that walked me through it.

that I can do it simply through a USB connection,

Never done that but I think you can. Just not very fast? Someone else can comment on that maybe.

and that I can use a notebook to PC direct Ethernet connection.

I have not done this either but I think that is all you have to have. Just two network cards and the cable to connect them together. And of course the software but you should have that in Winders.

I am sure there are other on here that know more than me. But the router does work and works pretty well. Do a web search for networking and you will find tons of stuff. Just find a web site for beginners and read-up on it.

Ted Martin

Professional Status
State
Kansas
If you are using ACI the process is more complicated than simply syncing the reports if you use Track, Research, File Lister or Flash. It can be done but it's a pain because you not only have to update the report files but also the database files and thier indexes.

Joker

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Ohio
Wayne,
Looks like I will have to invest in some file sync software. I guess I just thought windows would be set up for file sync. (My ignorance). I won't have the number of files that you do. I only need to sync the WinTotal info, all my commercial reports are done In Word format and I save them on floppies.

Jeff,
Thanks for the useful info. I did some research on the net and so believe all I need is 2 Ethernet connections (fastest and least expensive). I guess I just did not know if there was a problem connecting the two, with one being a laptop.

Ted,
I guess I should have been more specific. The PC operates on Win98, the notebook will of course be XP. I am an alamode user. I have a tech support bulletin from them and I think I have to do the same thing with the database, etc. Do I need to do that even with a file sync software?

Stephen Page

Freshman Member
Doug, you'll probably want to sync most of the Win2000 folder (but not all of it as some of the config settings won't work on either machine...I'd suggest the Images folder and files, database (should sync your quicklists) and compsdb (best to have those comps along for the ride too!)

BTW if you use a direct Eth card to Eth card connection, you'll need a special cable...(null port or something like that...ask the tech guy who mentioned it)

HTH

SJP

Ted Martin

Professional Status
State
Kansas
Doug,
I'm not sure? It would depend. Our files are stored on R: drive on the desktop because they are on the server. On the laptop they are on C: drive. There is a pointer in the database that tells ACI where to look for the file that needs to be updated for the Track program to work. If you only have a desktop and the reports are stored on C: drive in the same directory it probably would work with a simple sync program. You might read the notes on the briefcase program that comes with windows it might do what you want on a single file basis but I don't think it would work for a whole subdirectory.

Joker

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Ohio
Well Gentleman, I have done it and am quite proud of myself. Actually, I could not have done it without your help. This ol' Southern Ohio farmboy don't know nuttin bout no computers.

If anyone is considering a similar setup, it isn't that difficult. If I can do it, anybody can. I am able to connect the two together via a direct 10/100 Ethernet card (Had to install in the PC) and a crossover cable. No dedicated server is needed. I set up to share the C Drives on each system for ease of copying, and was directly able to copy all my existing programs, files, folders, etc. onto the laptop. This made the laptop an exact duplicate (although better, faster, stronger, and more portable) of the descktop pc. Thanks Wayne for the heads up on the Vice Versa, although I had to also download from www.winzip.com to install and run it. For some reason I had to install Vice Versa on both systems. On the Target system I can sync the data from the source, but not the other way around, don't know why, but at least I can get it shared. Thanks everyone for all your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks