• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

Learn more about Titan Reports, our new cloud-based formfiller, SmartExchange, Titan Office, and Titan Drive to see how you can revolutionize your appraisal business.

Tablet PC baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russ

Sophomore Member
:D Used my new bad boy Toshiba convertible for the first time today! I had no problem with any software and everything works perfect. Sketched a 3,500 Sq Ft house in pretty good sunlight using Apex and finished the report in the field.

Have to figure out a shoulder strap system and my Sony no longer is useful because it does not have a floppy drive and they don't make one. (guess the floppy is getting phased out) Somebody posted about the ultimate mini digital camera earlier, I need a new camera.

Gonna take some getting used to but I can see tablet pc's as the ultimate tool for appraisers. I bought the Toshiba because I like the keyboard feature and the swivel mechanism is titanium versus the competitors plastic. Tweaking with the voice and handwriting recognition and seems to be very accurate. I love new technology, so far I highly recommend these bad boys........HUGE time savers!

Who has the info on the ultimate mini digital camera?

Merry Christmas everybody!

Tim Hicks (Texas)

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Texas
Man, you beat me to it. I will have one by the end of the year. Currently, CompUSA is sold out and has been both times I have been in their store. I have been sobusy I have not had time to serously shop. Does it have a touch screen keyboard, if neeed?

Tim Hicks (Texas)

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Texas
Russ, doesn't that PC come with a built in compact flash? You can get my camera (Kodak DC 3200) for about $40 on ebay. A 16 mb flash card will hold 77 pictures. The DC 3200 is obsolete, but it still works fine for me (2x zoom, automatic flash, view finder). I know after dropping $2k+ on the tablet you may want to go cheaply on the camera.

Jo Ann Meyer Stratton

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Arizona
Speaking of minature cameras--I bought a Power Shot S200 Digital ELPH camera ($300) about six weeks ago. I am very, very satisfied with it. Also bought an extra battery ($40) and a 128MB Compact Flash card ($40) at the same time. With the extra battery, when I get back to the office switch batteries between recharger that came with camera and the camera. The 128MB card holds 1,400 photos at 640x480 resolution. So download the most recent photos with a compact flash reader, but leave all the photos on the compact flash card for backup. When I finally have over a 1,000 photos I'll start deleting. They are saved on the card in groups of 100, so I will be able to delete the oldest 100 folder and keep the more recent 100 folders for backup for quite some time. The camera is about the shape and size of a pack of cigerettes, has a steel case, so should survive bouncing down mountain sides. Picked up my Kodak 215 the other day and it felt like I was holding a gigantic brick in my hands after using my Elf for six weeks!

wyecoyote

Professional Status
Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.
State
Washington
Russ,

Keep us updated on how it works. Which software are you using? I have been really interested in getting one perhaps someday the business will lease one for me.

Ryan

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
I am YELLOWus. Green with envy...

OK so was it a 'grey day' or 'sunny bright': how did it do walking around inside?... and did it work as well the NEXT time you tried it?

Are you backing up with a paper copy: are you useing sticky notes or just running the URAR or other grid....
:oops:
Inquiring minds and all that! :wink:

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
I don't recommend any Kodak 3XXX series...all plastic. Have been using by backup DC215. Works ok but not nearly as nice as my old DC210. Just bought another 210 on Ebay for under $100 should be here tomorrow. Did see some new DC215s for about $80 on ebay. Isn't 128Meg overkill on the card? I can get 147 pics on a 15 which is more than I need.

B

Bemis Pownall

MIKE
BIGGER IS BETTER

IDIOT PROOF BACK UP
AND AS CHEAP AS THEY ARE.
I CAN HOLD ALMOST 2,000 PICS BEFORE DELETING

:drinking:

Russ

Sophomore Member
You can buy directly from shoptoshiba.com (if you want the protoge 3500-3505) and get a little better deal then CompUSA. When you buy direct from Toshiba you get a 3 year warranty, CompUSA only has one year. I bought mine from CompUSA only because this very wonderful polish sales lady, who knew Tablet XP very well, spent so much time with me. I bought an added 3 year warranty for $350.00 which covers everything. In addition, I spent some fairly good time in researching the different machines on the Internet and I thought I would splurge and get the best all around rated computer. Toshiba has a few features that others do not.

The first house I did with the Tablet was a big one and it was a VERY sunny day. The sun does affect the screen however is very manipulative, just a minor inconvenience. So far I have loaded Microsoft XP SR1, SR2, in order to get the XP Tablet add on tools that will allow all functions with Microsoft Office XP. I also purchased Franklin Covey software which will help organize my crazy life.

I see this as a total desktop replacement! The WiFi means I can cruise the Internet and send out appraisals via Email from anywhere in my house and up to 1,500 feet outside! Have not hooked up to my network yet. My plan is to totally complete a report in the field at the appointment.

Total cost so far is over $3,000! I will let you know if I feel I made a prudent investment. All I know is I have to stop typing my reports at night!

I use Bradford's Toolbox, Apex, and Geo Locator! All work without a hitch and are screamin! (The Toshiba is a Intel Pentium III 1.33 and I got to tell you, it seems faster than my 1.7 IV desktop) All tablet computers have a special on screen "keyboard" that is part of the Tablet XP Operating System. I can forsee a HUGE time saving factor with the Tablets and some serious organizational tools! Not just my appraisal business but everyday tasks!

KD247

Professional Status
State
California
Russ,

Keep us posted on your progress with the tablet pc. This is exciting stuff!

Two thoughts:

Camera - I really like my Minolta Dimage X because it's small enough to keep in my front pocket and because it has almost no warm-up or lag time. But, with a tablet pc, it would be nice to have a camera that could shoot photos while attached to the tablet. As long as you're carrying the computer, it would be nice to shoot the picture and put it on the form in one step.

Wireless Networking - Driving around you'll be amazed at the number of open wireless networks you'll find. Several times I've been sitting in my car in front of a property and a message pops up to tell me that a wireless connection is available. You can't connect to all of them, but twice I've been able to look up sales using a stranger's internet connection.

Also, most Starbucks now have pay-as-you-go wireless networks available through T-Mobile. I paid $20 for 120 minutes and, if you can park close enough, you don't even need to leave your car. This could be a real lifesaver when you discover that your subject property is different than expected. I'm looking forward to being able to send clients their reports from out in the field.

I'm currently debating whether to upgrade my Toolbox software. My next software purchase will be with the vendor that incorporates some sort of "e-ppraisal type" data import and has screens designed for field inputting. I'm amazed that none of the software companies are talking up the tablet concept yet, because we'll all be using one in the very near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks