• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Taf And Hvcc (dumb Question Time)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hal380

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Connecticut
Hello Everyone;

I did a google and local search and only came up with fragmented references to my question.

What is/has been the response by the TAF to HVCC?

As I am studying for my AQB USPAP Cert course, I am continually reminded that the purpose of USPAP as published by TAF is to promote and maintain public trust in the appraisal profession. The HVCC is driving appraisers into the hands of the AMC's who have no interest what so ever in our profession. We will be merely galley slaves chained to our oars. AMC's bring nothing to the table. They provide a service to the lenders and should be paid by the lenders.

Shouldn't the TAF and the organizations which comprise it come out screaming?

As always I apologize if this has been covered and I missed it, but I just don't understand the TAF silence.

Regards

Hal

Jonsey

Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Florida
Hello Everyone;

I did a google and local search and only came up with fragmented references to my question.

What is/has been the response by the TAF to HVCC?

As I am studying for my AQB USPAP Cert course, I am continually reminded that the purpose of USPAP as published by TAF is to promote and maintain public trust in the appraisal profession. The HVCC is driving appraisers into the hands of the AMC's who have no interest what so ever in our profession. We will be merely galley slaves chained to our oars. AMC's bring nothing to the table. They provide a service to the lenders and should be paid by the lenders.

Shouldn't the TAF and the organizations which comprise it come out screaming?

As always I apologize if this has been covered and I missed it, but I just don't understand the TAF silence.

Regards

Hal

Link 1 - http://www.appraisalfoundation.org/s_appraisal/index.asp

Link 2 - http://www.appraisalfoundation.org/s_appraisal/sec.asp?CID=19&DID=19

Link 3 - http://www.appraisalfoundation.org/s_appraisal/sec.asp?CID=62&DID=91

Link 4 - http://www.appraisalfoundation.org/s_appraisal/doc.asp?CID=62&DID=259

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Most TAF Board and advisory council members have other interests that want the HVCC and would fight hard to not allow anybody outside of their cozy and quid-pro-quo group to change anything.

RICO anyone?

hal380

Professional Status
State
Connecticut
sometimes I feel so dumb

Hal

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Hal, don't feel dumb! They've done a fine job of hiding their true allegiances for many years.

Calvin the Airedale

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Ohio
Most TAF Board and advisory council members have other interests that want the HVCC and would fight hard to not allow anybody outside of their cozy and quid-pro-quo group to change anything.

RICO anyone?
Dear Ms. Crowley,

Noting your general tone when it comes to the track record and usefulness of TAF I want to relate the following story. It comes from an attorney I met in early 2007. This gentleman is a consumer advocate and since my meeting has been instrumental in reining in the influence and usurious practices of the payday lending industry in Ohio. He has a history of advocacy for consumers regarding predatory lending.

He was invited by a member of the IAC to attend one of their meetings. He told me several weeks after this experience that he had lost hope that any solutions favorable to consumers would come from the TAF or its IAC. His take: "the foxes are in charge of the hen house."

Last edited:

timd354

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Maryland
As I am studying for my AQB USPAP Cert course, I am continually reminded that the purpose of USPAP as published by TAF is to promote and maintain public trust in the appraisal profession.

Hal,

It is too bad that yourslef, myself, and many others bought into that self-serving statement which has just turned out to be a load of crap in practice. In reality, it would appear that USPAP has become nothing more than a mechanism to shift liability from lenders onto appraisers. Lenders have essentially used USPAP, along with licensing, to absolve themselves from all responsibility regarding appraiser selection, appraiser quality, lender pressure on appraisers, etc. It is no accident that USPAP governs appraiser conduct and does not govern lender conduct.

Roscoeman

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Oregon
Hal,

It is too bad that yourslef, myself, and many others bought into that self-serving statement which has just turned out to be a load of crap in practice. In reality, it would appear that USPAP has become nothing more than a mechanism to shift liability from lenders onto appraisers. Lenders have essentially used USPAP, along with licensing, to absolve themselves from all responsibility regarding appraiser selection, appraiser quality, lender pressure on appraisers, etc. It is no accident that USPAP governs appraiser conduct and does not govern lender conduct.

My bold in red.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks