• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

TAF and their Boondoggels Exposed !

Evincere

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
So where was all of TAFs righteous discrimination indignation 1, 4, 5 years ago? Appraisers have suddenly become racially biased? It’s rather disgusting to me to see TAF jumping on the bandwagon of politically correct grandstanding based upon alleged press releases that try to tie everyone and anyone who is not of color into wearing the collar of discrimination shame

Bert Craytor

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
Just a note. It looks like maybe we are getting "Black Lives Matter", "DIversity" and racial discrimination issues mixed up. Me as well as the others. I do kind of lump them together, as it's just different variations of discrimination against various groups in our society.

Some of this has to do with incarceration rates (factual), some to do with possible discrimination in the workplace (a matter of opinion) and some to do with possible discrimination in appraisal (also a matter of opinion).

1. Incarceration rates for blacks tend to be higher in liberal states: https://www.sentencingproject.org/p...racial-and-ethnic-disparity-in-state-prisons/ Figure that out.

2. Workplace discrimination. Most of my life as a software engineer, almost all men in the profession. Most women would rather gab than burn the midnight oil all by themselves behind a computer. What can I say? I'm not at all sure it is that widespread or unjustified. Men tend to make better managers, IMO. But, there are plenty of exceptions.

3. Diversity? Just focus on competence and that shouldn't be an issue. Otherwise, the issue simply leads to disruption in productivity and a lack of focus. But make your own decision on that one.

George Hatch

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
Obviously there are politics involved and that's why they're doing it, but so what? There's nothing intrinsically unjust about appraising in general or licensing in particular, unless you think it's unfair to decline licensing to people who have been convicted of a felony.

Carnivore

Elite Member
Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
I'm curious how 'discrimination against blacks' would work in the residential world. I don't know anything about the borrowers, other than their names. Would I be picking up on 'black' sounding first names? Some of the time I see the seller. Now appraisers only 'approve' the value or come up with something lower. I think this the Biden thesis, that I would be doing an appraisal in a black neighborhood and use comps in (I'm guessing) in a more adverse black neighborhood. I'm not seeing what my motivation would be in purposely coming in 'low' in predominant black neighborhoods. As one can tell, I've really never faced this issue because I don't have a clue how I'd do it if I was a racist appraiser. So clearly, I need a full day class on how to do it and how not to do it, even if it will never come close to having an influence on my values.

Now I've done appraisals in some pretty crappy neighborhoods, the kind where a chicken can run across the living room floor, (one's I'd never want to live in, though most of the people are pretty nice) and when I do, I try to use other comparables in the same neighborhood because they indicate the socio-economic influences which are common to those neighborhoods. I do the same thing in fancy neighborhoods.
I too have had some of the same thoughts in the form of question(s).
1. Do I use social/economic standing and race of an individual(s) to drive the appraisal process? The simple Answer is No! The pin me down answer is a Definite NO!
2. Could other appraiser(s) been using social/economic standing and race of an Owner be driving their appraisal process of development and Reporting? Answer; Possibly.

I or someone else simply can not answer definitively those questions as a group. We can only answer those questions as Individuals. If we stick with Appraisal Theory, its almost impossible for us to deliberately inject any kind of Racial prejudice into our work without being called out on what we did. What I mean is we won't be called out for Prejudice, no we will be called out for ignoring or deviating from Appraisal Theory. OTOH often times the Lending Community will require certain explanations for going outside their wants and desires. Proverbial; one mile, 6 months 5%,10% 25% line, net gross explanation BS. Those reporting requirements have nothing to do with race. For that matter it does not have anything to with Appraisal Theory. It does however inject some BS results from appraisers.

So why are we a target? One possible reason is we are not diverse. Is that because of us individuals or is it a function of opportunity? I reject opportunity only because I or you have absolutely no control over who enters the profession. Is it opportunity because of Policy at the TAF. Again, NO! There are no policies at the TAF that bar entrance into the Appraisal Profession for anybody who wants to enter. I have been and still am a critic of the TAF for their past monkeying around with ED requirements for entering the profession. I summed it up as them managing the Herd. My assessment was they were not interested in keeping the Profession as Professional, but rather were more focused on keeping the Herd Large enough to satisfy Big Box Lenders fast n cheap desire. This is so antithetical to the definition of how a Profession is defined. Free Market Capitalism will solve that problem almost over night. Commercial Aviation is a Good Example for the TAF to mirror.

You know something that concerns me is their will be a Lender Requirement forced on AMC Phone Monkey Dot Com'rs to select as a percentage Minority Appraisers. That is in fact a racist policy. I see it coming...but hopefully will be rejected or quietly ignored.

I know i am all over the place in what I said above. It goes to show how complex this issue is with minorities. We did not create this societal problem.

Side Note; I reject Critical Race Theory! It has been around since the 70's. It has nothing to do with our profession in theory or in practice.

djd09

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Ohio
So where was all of TAFs righteous discrimination indignation 1, 4, 5 years ago?
now, they are worried about the public. where were they when the predatory lenders ravished these communities and from my local observations are still devastated by "over" valuations 11 + years later.

they are not "our" clients or the intended user. the client(s) are sponsors of the TAF. But let's not have the facts get in the way.

Carnivore

Elite Member
Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Should the TAF get involved? Yes, and here is why IMO. They smoke and Joke with some pretty powerful movers and shakers in the Industry. You and I do not! We as appraisers have little influence outside our own sphere of influence.

Example: If I approached this college https://www.jcsu.edu/ to suggest a degree of study focused towards the Appraisal Industry aka licensing. How far would I get with them. I have no power, I have no money and I especially have no influence.

OTOH If the TAF and AI and Other Appraiser Organizations together approached the above College; What would be the possible result of that 1st meeting?

Throw in the NC Governor and NC Department of Education. Would this help or Hurt the cause?

Since Charlotte is a Major Banking Center; Do you think they could throw muscle(financial) into this effort! You bet they not only could but would!

Obviously myself and this entire appraiser forum membership could have some effect if we started a petition AGAIN. But don't count on it, because we are the supposed problem not the solution.

Mejappz

Professional Status
State
Florida
The only ones that need to be taking education courses are TAF and the GSEs. Both for their incompetency and racism. I wonder how the good old boys would feel if we were to give BLM rioters information on these two entities. Do minorities know that the GSEs had a field day foreclosing on minority neighborhoods? Maybe, we should start educating these communities on the real culprits.

Last edited:

djd09

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Ohio
i'm sure meetings in sunny san diego were filled with diversity talk.:)

they could care less about john q. public. look at their neighbors.

that is why

15th st is a party. :)

djd09

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Ohio
if didn't come to party, don't bother knocking at my door.

:)

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks