• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

TAF in Full Damage Control

Eli

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Tennessee
Hell, the plumbers association is better than appraisers.

Eli

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
I welcome the reasons for differences in appraisal profession and all other professions. I would love to hear them.

alebrewer

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Texas
And yes, I most definitely can hold appraisers accountable for lying, cheating, stealing, mischaracterizing, making factual errors, choosing wierdo methodologies and inconsistencies.
That is a great start. Look, insofar as the meat of an appraiser's analysis consists of 'opinions', then I'd submit that 'opinions' cannot be quantitatively measured - insofar as they are, at the end of the day, opinions and not fact. I agree that unfactual information, or inconsistent analysis is easily identified. I guess the more challenging question - and possibly the answer to which may not be found in USPAP - is, how do we (the appraisal profession) generate positive perception in the quality of our services? How do we profitably assert that appraisals are inherently more 'accurate' than AVM's or BPO's? Or are they? If we can't even agree on how to measure quality, how do we expect other folks (users of our services) to perceive the value of that 'quality'? I think, possibly, the 'root' of the animosity expressed toward TAF, or Mr. Bunton, isn't really about the salary - it's about their round table in their ivory tower, and the perception that they pander to the regulators and financial industry - at the expense of the appraiser. I think that, what folks are looking for, is some entity that is willing to advocate for appraisers - and for that 'quality' that we all believe is there, but that no one appears to be championing...

Eli

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
That is a great start. Look, insofar as the meat of an appraiser's analysis consists of 'opinions', then I'd submit that 'opinions' cannot be quantitatively measured - insofar as they are, at the end of the day, opinions and not fact. I agree that unfactual information, or inconsistent analysis is easily identified. I guess the more challenging question - and possibly the answer to which may not be found in USPAP - is, how do we (the appraisal profession) generate positive perception in the quality of our services? How do we profitably assert that appraisals are inherently more 'accurate' than AVM's or BPO's? Or are they? If we can't even agree on how to measure quality, how do we expect other folks (users of our services) to perceive the value of that 'quality'? I think, possibly, the 'root' of the animosity expressed toward TAF, or Mr. Bunton, isn't really about the salary - it's about their round table in their ivory tower, and the perception that they pander to the regulators and financial industry - at the expense of the appraiser. I think that, what folks are looking for, is some entity that is willing to advocate for appraisers - and for that 'quality' that we all believe is there, but that no one appears to be championing...

Your reasoning is good, but your argument is almost ivory tower too. That's not how it works. Your an appraiser. I deal with buyers and sellers every day. And real estate agents who are very skilled. Many don't understand the appraisal process because they are not professionals in the appraisal field and don't understand the process.

Eli

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
The real estate agents who are also appraisers understand.

Eli

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
Ok, the problem has nothing to do with salary. The problem is with the structure of the professional organization compared to other professional organizations and outside influences. I can keep preaching.

alebrewer

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Texas
Ok, the problem has nothing to do with salary. The problem is with the structure of the professional organization compared to other professional organizations and outside influences. I can keep preaching.
I don't know about how good, or bad, other professional organizations are, but I think everyone (at least those who've opined herein) would agree with that statement... And I think you and I both have offered 'alternative' appraiser organizations as potential solutions. To a prior post, however, is it possible for a group like NAA to: (a) get large and cohesive enough to actually be able to implement positive change without (b) succumbing to the dark hole that is Washington DC? I know the AI and CRN weren't able to do so...

Eli

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
Oligopsony. Why do you think many AMC's want separation of fees? they don't want what's coming on antitrust law.

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks