• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

tax appeal

Status
Not open for further replies.

uncle sam

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
New Jersey
Does anyone know of a course, or book that teaches an appraiser the basics of an appraisal for tax appeal purposes?

Kali the Boston Terrier

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Michigan
You could try the IAAO, they have courses and lots of literature on taxation. I'm sure there are some books on appeal. If your State is anything like Michigan, tax appeal is highly litigated. So most of the topics that would be pertinent would be books about how to be a credible witness, writing reports for litigation, etc. The best books in that area are written by the ASA, but a really important piece of information would be finding the rules of evidence for your State, and learning what passes and what does not. You may also want to look on your State website and look for previous opinions issued by your tax court and see how they have treated issues in the past.

Tax appeal is generally considered some of the most difficult assignmnets in our industry. Just having compentency to appraise a property, does not mean you are competent to appraise for tax appeal. It requires a heavy knowledge of your tax law rules and regulations, definitions, and rules of evidence. It also means that you need to have strong expert witness skills, given most of your time on a tax appeal assignment will be preparing and presenting in court.

So be careful...

PropertyEconomics

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New Mexico
You could try the IAAO, they have courses and lots of literature on taxation. I'm sure there are some books on appeal. If your State is anything like Michigan, tax appeal is highly litigated. So most of the topics that would be pertinent would be books about how to be a credible witness, writing reports for litigation, etc. The best books in that area are written by the ASA, but a really important piece of information would be finding the rules of evidence for your State, and learning what passes and what does not. You may also want to look on your State website and look for previous opinions issued by your tax court and see how they have treated issues in the past.

Tax appeal is generally considered some of the most difficult assignmnets in our industry. Just having compentency to appraise a property, does not mean you are competent to appraise for tax appeal. It requires a heavy knowledge of your tax law rules and regulations, definitions, and rules of evidence. It also means that you need to have strong expert witness skills, given most of your time on a tax appeal assignment will be preparing and presenting in court.

So be careful...

Brian you give excellent advice here. I personally find them so difficult to do and so time consuming, and honestly quite fuitless, I simply dont do them. The success rate I find is extremely low among residential properties, and while that is of no concern to me, I find that customers come away often blaming the appraiser for their lack of a successful appeal, particularly in residential properties.
Commercial appeals are a bit different because of the possibility of mistakes made by assessors in income valuation, and even in those instances, the assignments are quite difficult.

I have always simply passed on these assignments.

Michigander

Professional Status
State
Michigan
Excellent advice and information Brian.

This goes to anything that is likely to end up in court. Expert testimony isn't necessarily for everyone.

Kali the Boston Terrier

Professional Status
State
Michigan
Yeah I'm kind of knee deep in them right now, I like them, but the biggest hurdle I have in them is that people lack either the financial resources to fight successfully or the will it takes. In Michigan commercial is backlogged 4-5 years, suggesting that the tax payer will have to pay for a report that covers 5 tax years worth of values, attorney fees, and the siginificant risk the tax court will just cut the difference in half between the appraiser and the assesor.

I'm not sure what is worse not devoting enough money to fight it correctly or the lack of will. Either way, the appraiser just ends up looking bad if either of those are not treated properly.

Don Clark

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Virginia
I use to teach one for McKissock. It was called "Ad Valoreum Consulting". You might check their web site. www.mckissock.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks