• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Termites - FYI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chad J. Houser

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Georgia
Neil;

Thanks. It's a very informative site. The timing couldn't have been better for me either. The past week or so I've noticed those little reproductive termites swarming around my back porch. Being unfamiliar with what termites actually look like, I wasn't sure, but had a sneaking suspicion, that I they were the little buggers. Now I'm positive. I think I'll have my bug man get under the house & check me out. Haven't seen any evidence, but it'll be worth it to me.

Chad

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
That's what causing those odd little dirt strips up your closet wall

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Georgia
Ever run your finger across a wall papered kitchen or bath wall, and notice that it feels waffled? Or even worse, your finger tip punches through the wall paper!

Got a local builder building homes out of metal framing claiming them to be termite proof. 8O I have mentioned it to the listing agent that I would not be advertising it that way. What about the wall board, trim, kitchen cabinets, etc. 8)

Caterina Platt

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
New Mexico
Exactly, Mel. We too have one of those metal frame guys (well, had before he left his subs high and dry and skipped town. Only came back long enough to appear in bankruptcy court) No studs just means quicker trip up to the drywall for those little buggers.

Pat Butler

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Illinois
I don't think they eat drywall. It's just wood. I've owned 6 houses that all had termite damage. I live in Illinois and termites aren't as prevalent as other areas of the country. I bought all 6 houses way below their market value, having known about the termite damage. With a careful inspection it's possible to determine the extent of damage and pretty much know what you are up against for a rehab job.

Had one house with slate siding. The termites had chewed through most of the studs on the back part of the house. The slate siding was sturdy enough that I was able to remove one stud at a time, and replace it, without damaging the exterior siding. When I was done, the entire back wall of the house was brand new and I only had to hammer in some nails on the exterior as I replaced each stud.

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Georgia
I don't think they eat drywall.
Dry wall is nothing more than Kaolin pressed between paper backing. They will eat up the paper backing in the drywall as well as wall paper. I have had several foreclosured houses with termite damage in the floor structure, wall board and roof framing. They just tunnel through to get to "greener pastures", but it sure makes a mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks