• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Texas Appraiser's license revoked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pamela Crowley (Florida)

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
TX 1330602 MCKEON KENNETH Revoked 11/08/2002 --

Anyone here know the story behind this one?

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
According to the TALCB website, he had a Provisional License, which is essentially a trainee license that allows you to sign without a Supervisor. He got nailed for inappropriate comps and failing to disclose the true condition of the home. Sounds like he inflated the value of a home to make value. DUH.

Roger

Pamela Crowley (Florida)

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Thanks, Roger. I like know what happened and if it helps make even one other appraiser think twice about what they are doing, it can only help.

So much information is available and so few pay any attention to it or even attempt to find it. I miss the newsletter mailings from our state board that explained what happened lately and let us know what was going on. Those that most need to know or be told are no longer getting that information. So many newbies going along with the unethical supervisor's methods that have no clue.

Nancy in Friday Harbor

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Washington
Pam,
FYI, here is the link to disciplinary actions in Washington State.

http://www.dol.wa.gov/app/appdispl.htm

Some of the transgressions seem pretty minor in the overall scheme of things. But I guess if someone's been blatant enough to get turned in and the investigators recommend action, the appraisals must have been pretty bad. Still, it does make you think about keeping your workfile in order and documenting everything! Doesn't seem like there are very many of them posted here.....

N.

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Georgia
Most of them appear to be the same old story of not verifying/falsifying data, or working outside of their license level.

Austin

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Virginia
Utilized unverified rental information, failure to report the property was appraised at more than the listing price, failure to examine a copy of the purchase and sales, stated that the report was a Self-Contained Summary Appraisal Report, did not have reported MLS data in workfile, did not justify GRM, failure to support site value inconsistent comment, failure to identify intended user, failure to support zoning, failure to support highest and best use, did not support effective age, inconsistent measures, did not support adjustments, did not disclose interior deficiencies and other errors.

The above quote is the summary of offenses of one of the victims of the Washington State Board witchhunt. Most of this stuff is just trumped up crap. I bet I can take any appraisal from any appraiser and make a similar case: “Failure to inspect copy of purchase/sales agreement, did not justify GRM, failure to support site value, failure to support zoning (what the hell does that mean), failure to support highest and best use, did not support effective age, did not support adjustments,” then to cap things off he apparently called a summary report a Self-contained summary report. Well, if it was a summary report, why would he be required to do all of the above? How many FNMA appraisals have you even seen that did any of the things I just quoted?
When I read things like this it makes me wonder if the entire country has gone to hell in a hand basket. As far as I am concerned they should take the AQB, ACS, AF, or the whole maggot infested mess just chunk it in a hole somewhere. This crap is a travesty of justice.

Jeff Horton

Professional Status
State
Alabama
Read any of Alabama's Disciplinary actions? Sounds much the same. But I do think they had a legitimate claim to investigate most (maybe all) of them initially. But it seems once they catch you they nick-pick everything in the report.

When I went down for my hearing (I was not allowed to sit for the exam) I asked what was the pass and fail grade. How did they determine from the application, the log I sent and the 5 sample appraisals that I was not fit to take the exam. What was the pass and fail grade? Their answer was USPAP. (In other words it is totally arbitrary and there is no grading scale) He went on to say basically that the Board goes by USPAP on all matters.

I read the disciplinary actions and much of what is written up is not USPAP. Granted these are the minor charges they add to the big ones. But they are not USPAP issues in my mind. Power just seems to go to some folks head.

Austin

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Virginia
Jeff:
When you consider that about 40% of the experienced USPAP instructor/students flunked the ACS USPAP instructor's course exam, then it really gets scary. When the most respected and recognized authority on real estate appraisal states that the sequence of adjustments comes from the market, but offers no procedure to extract the adjustments from the market, then how can a state board determine whether an adjustment was justified or not? How can they determine if the comps were appropriate or not? How can they enforce appraisal procedures that are mathematically incapable of estimating the question asked in the definition of market value, most probable price? I will go out on a limb and state that not one state appraisal board in this country acting as a group can give a rational explanation of the meaning of the definition of market value. Almost none of the board members have taken a class and passed a test on USPAP, the subject for which they hold themselves out as enforcing. It is insanity I tell you.

Nancy in Friday Harbor

Professional Status
State
Washington
Was reading my email this morning and discover that another Texas appraiser got disciplined yesterday. So went to the Texas appraiser's disciplinary site and found that this newest action hasn't been posted there yet.

www.talcb.tx.us

I was fascinated to see that all of the complaints are laid out quoting the exact USPAP paragraph....as opposed to Washington State's vague and subjective lists.

The one thing that struck me about both state's documentation is how subjective the enforcement of USPAP is. And looking at the violations of documentation, support, rationale (rationale?!) and methodology, I wonder how many appraisers -- especially those who claim to complete 40 appraisals a week 8O -- would stand up under similar scrutiny.

Don't misunderstand me......I'm not defending any appraiser who produces a fraudulent or misleading report either by intent or carelessness. I just wonder, if the state USPAP police showed up at our front doors, how many of us could withstand the scrutiny? Is this a case of "There but for the grace of God go I!"?

Having been on the receiving end several years ago of a "sour grapes" complaint by the loser in a court case for which I assisted in preparing an appraisal, I can assure you there are few things in the world that have as much "pucker power" as a call from the state appraisal board -- even if you haven't done anything wrong!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks