• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Texas Appraisers or other lurkers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paulette in Texas

Sophomore Member
As 30 years as an active Broker in Houston PLUS owning our own appraisal firm the last 10 years...do what you have to do. Sign in yard, advertise your own, write your own contracts. Tx is pretty easy. Attornies would have you believe otherwise, but the truth is, treat the buyers as you would if you were standing in front of "Jesus" as He asks the questions and you should have no problem. Sell it for what you BELIEVE it is and then wait for an HONEST appraiser to tell you what this lender is willing to loan on. Correct any deferred maintenance, and fill out the forms required in GOOD FAITH. Document all exchanges, write down ALL communications and then Let her rip... After all, in Tx you still have the right to be judged by your peers. The only part I would caution you on, is NEVER, NEVER show your property to strangers unless, you have good info on the prospects and that there is a MAN there. Unfortunately, even in Tx we have perverts looking for easy targets. I believe that single statement will result in more properties listing through realtors than any other ever spoken. That said...our son and realtor, our daughter and realtor, ourselves and both brokers...ALWAYS list our own properties and use ONLY brokers to co-op with. SCREW any attornies that want to show our properties UNLESS they are using the services of local realtors who have MLS keys and codes. Funny how many just fade off into sunset when you tell them they have to meet realtor first and prequalify prior to allowing them into your home. Of course, we're all still safe and sassy after 30+ years in the business. good luck...Paulette in Tx...Rotts rule, go w...

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
Thnaks Paulette, was hoping you'd weigh in on this one and give the 'rest of the story'!

Knew I'd get straight scoop also :D

Had forgotten to caution about showing when Dad is home only.... Since this is my stepdaughter and two precious grandkids I will be sure to pass that one on 8O ... I think they have enough sense, but you never never know...

Hey have you heard anything about difficulty acquireing HO insurance down there? The media hacks would have us beleiveing that its near impossible to acquire, and State Farm just quit writing new policies here in KS until they sort out what theya re going to charge and how they intend to write the policies 8O

Thanks again!

Lee Ann

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
Homeowners Insurance:
YES. There is a very significant problem with new homeowners policies in Texas, with most of the major players no longer issuing new policies. If there is a history of water damage that has not been repaired or mold, you will not get insurance, period. If the home has no problems, it will take work, but policies can be found. Rates are sky-high, however.

A marketing suggestion for you: There are listing services that will put you into MLS for a $500-700 fee and a 3% to the buyers broker. This puts it into MLS and cuts your realtor costs in half. It gives you significantly more marketing clout and makes the home more availble than such operations as BuyOwner, etc.

Paulette in Texas

Sophomore Member
I am hearing quotes sometimes as high as 600% over what they were the previous year....yeah, Ms. always gets info & q&A going when doing inspections and ho is at home. Amazing, but true. It looks to me like those homes built during the last 12+- years are being hit the worse. Older, even more expensive homes say in the 30+ years are just getting hit for 50% increases. My personal belief is that those of us lucky enough to be close in are only paying for the last hurricane. We are not paying for MOLD damage because our homes can breathe. Course we have higher than #$%@ HL&P bills to prove it too. But then, that's just my attitude & opinion. I think they have built these new homes so tight that they cannot breathe and MOLD freely grows & abounds in this very efficient envirnoment. Good luck...buy older but closer in. Works for me. partins in Houston.
Rotts rule and Shih tzus is still living...go w...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks