• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Texas--foundations for manufactured homes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jo Ann Meyer Stratton

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Arizona
A Texas appraiser has very kindly just posted a link over on the AI forum that might be of interest to Texas appraisers. I found it quite interesting--and haven't done an appraisal in Texas in 20 years! Anyway here is the link:

http://www.tdhca.state.tx.us/pdf/mh/02-MHR...i;es-021007.pdf

I like there definition of a Permanent foundation on page 5 (42) a system of supports and securements, including piers, either partially or entirely below grade which is constructed or certified in accordance with the criteria outlined in 80.52(a) and (B), of this title (relating to Permanent Foundation Performance Criteria).

(a) is very similar to HUds permanent foundation guidelines, but (B) is interestinf for homes installed prior to 1/1/2002--the foundation system is certified by the consumer/mortgagor and/or the lender/mortgagee or the owner!

Have fun Texas appraisers! :)
:D :D

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
This link has expired, etc. Please see if you can find a better link.

Thanks
Roger

Tim Hicks (Texas)

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Texas
It has been my experience that the manufactured home dealers have dictated the type of foundations installed. That is why they throw in the "typical for the market area" response on most manufactured home addendums. Dealer's just make sure the axle, hitch and wheels are removed, the home is placed on concrete blocks and is skirted. We actually have engineers in this area that will inspect these foundations and fill out the MH addendum with the "I don't care attitude" for a fee. That is fine with me. Let them have the liability. But, then I am the bad guy who is the only appraiser in the world who will not rubber stamp a lender's MH addendum. :)

Rick Neighbors

Professional Status
State
Texas
Jo Ann,

Thanks for the link, even though it is 106 pages long.

Would you please explain this reference? ..............."certified in accordance with the criteria outlined in 80.52(a) and (B), of this title "

Where do we find this data? 8O

Thanks, :D

Rick

Jo Ann Meyer Stratton

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Arizona
For those of you who receive the RRR Newsletter from HUD, they have an interesting pamphlet that can be order from HUD for $5--or printed off the internet.

Guide to Foundation and Support Systems for Manufactured Homes (March 2002, 112p.) actually it was 115 letter sized pages. I printed it out in color--some neat looking pictures, then decided to splurge $5 and ordered it from HUD along with 5 other pamphlets for $5 each--already had the $25 Permanent Foundation Guidebook. Website to read the publications on screen using Adobe Acrobat and also the place to order the books (can charge it to your credit card) is:

www.huduser.org/publications/pdrpubli.html

Look at the right hand side of the screen, scroll down to manufactured housing and then start roaming through the offerings. You might end up spending $30 too! And you can order the $25 Permanent Foundation guidebook, very handy document to keep on your desk next the National HOC Reference, Fannie Mae guide and 2003 USPAP.

I'll have to do some research on the Texas item although you might search Texas Statutes, etc. That is what references like that mean in Arizona.

Mickey Stevens

Professional Status
State
Dom. Republic
Can any of you Texas appraisers clear up this foundation issue for me. I am greatly confused. All of the new manufactured homes I have done final inspections on in the last year have either concrete runners that the blocks are sitting on or are anchored in concrete. I just did one that is not.

Reading the Manufactured Housing Rules from the Tx Dept. of Housing and Community Affairs it would seem that in order for the home to be considered "permanently" affixed it would have to be secured to a permanent foundation which would have to be concrete or other materials that extend below grade. However, the Manufactured Home Standards Act merely says it has to be secured to a foundation and connected to utilities, etc.

My question is, does it comply with the law if it is only on concrete blocks sitting on the dirt and anchored in the dirt? This is going to be a Fannie Mae deal and I was told by a state engineer that this meets Fannie Mae's guidelines and he indicated the deal would go through but did not seem to be sure about whether it complies with the law.

Any clarification anyone would provide would be greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks