• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

That's A First.

Status
Not open for further replies.

aprazer

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
New York
It seems the longer you do this job, the longer you can go without seeing something "new" in a home that you haven't seen before. Today I had two new sightings-both toilet related.

The first was a triangular toilet. The tank is in the shape of a triangle so it can be placed in a corner. Interesting but nothing compared to sighting #2.

Nice neighborhood $600K and up. Homeowner lets me do inspection by myself. I get to the first bath and as I am writing my notes I notice something on the floor next to the toilet. Right where the water shut off valve is, someone has added a white plastic hose. I take a closer look and it's a real cheap kitchen sink-hose-squirter- thing. I am about to pick it up when it suddenly dawns on me what this thing is for.

It's a do it yourself bidet.
One in every bath room-including the guest bath on the first level.

USPAP Compliant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Many years ago I went to a house that had a brick wall aprox 3' x 3' in front of every window on front of the home. One in the living room, one in each of two bedrooms.

This was called a "thrombe wall' (I think), and was to capture heat fromt he sun to help keep the home warm

Being the good ole boy that I am, I thought for sure it was for "cover" in case of a drive-by shooting.

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
Speaking of toilets, I recently did a home (REO) that had a toilet setting in a bedroom. No other fixtures, no privacy wall, just a toilet in the corner. Functional superadequacy? :D

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Georgia
It's a do it yourself bidet.
One in every bath room-including the guest bath on the first level.
Well, at least you didn't mistake it for a drinking water spigot. :blink:

Roger, I saw the exact same thing in a house last year. Except it was right beside the bed. :huh: Guess it's good for those of college age, no need to stumble to the bath.... just roll over :beer:

Don Clark

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Virginia
B) OK, here are a few I have seen:

A huge contemporary home on a lake, swimming pool, flowing access to all room(few doors, mostly just entry way), bedrooms with little ot now walls, and a hot tub in what can best be described the second floor hallway that was even with the floor, and had plants growing in it. This was a $500K + house owned by a minister(Church of the holy profit) :)

Also, a few years back I did an "envelope house"/ This was an environmentally correct house that only a tree hugger could love. Each wall was encapsulated inside another wall with 2 feet between them so as to capture the suns heat and heat the house during winter, and keep out the suns heat in the summer. Supposed to need no AC and little internal heat. Did not work. Sold for $150,000. and the RTC(remember them?) sold it for $85,000.

Several houses around here with gardens growing in the foyer. Martina Navratilova(No guareente on spelling) owned one here localy with a tree growing out of it.

Next!

Don

Blue1

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Here's my contribution:

9,000 sq.ft. home on the top of an 80 acre island in the middle of a man-made mountain lake. Home is 3 stories with "widow walks" around all levels. There is an elevator system in the home (the guy built it to live in it 'till he died............and he did) All baths have urinals on the wall. Roman bath outside that is spring-fed. Two huge generators, and an honest to God radio shack. (The guy was a ham operator). What a Pad!

Tim Hicks (Texas)

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Texas
Just think, a few years ago, you had to walk down a path and measure the outdoor plumbing.

Tim Hicks (Texas)

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Texas
Hey, have any of you guys and girls appraised a home with a urinal on the wall. I have twice. Both times it was a doctor's home.

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
1 urinal that I remember, new house, about 1,600 SF GLA, out in the county. The urinal was in the 1/2 bath of the 'sports' room and had no regular toilet.

Done a few biggies with bidets. Always liked bidets...... :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks