• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

The 2008 Certified General Appraiser Exam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goltmier

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
California
Does anyone know of an exam preparation class that I can take to prepare me for the General Certified Exam? I'm in California. I understand that the 2008 exam is 10 times more difficult than the old exam. I understand that there is more financial math on the exam. The review material that I purchased from the Appraisal Institute is geared more for the old exam that was last given in 2007. Does anyone know of a preparation course that is effective for the new exam?

Last edited:

Allen

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Tennessee
Im in Tennessee and am in the same situation. I would like to find a prep book or something similar. If anybody knows of such a book please post up.

PropertyEconomics

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
New Mexico
Does anyone know of an exam preparation class that I can take to prepare me for the General Certified Exam? I'm in California. I understand that the 2008 exam is 10 times more difficult than the old exam. I understand that there is more financial math on the exam. The review material that I purchased from the Appraisal Institute is geared more for the old exam that was last given in 2007. Does anyone know of a preparation course that is effective for the new exam?

:clapping: :clapping: YEAHHHHHHHHHHHH :clapping: :clapping:

You should be tested on what you know. My personal opinion is if you dont know the material from everyday work ... materials wont get you to understanding. EXPERIENCE ... thats the best study guide.

I know it doesnt help you in this instance (unless of course you have lots of experience) .. but its the truth. Im glad the tests have finally reached the point of being hard.

SMF

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Virginia
I just recently took the exam and must say that even with using exam prep software it was an extremly hard exam. Hopefully the Appraisal Instute will come out with a study guide as it appears most of the test was generated by them and certain terms that are on the exam are only used by the appraisal institute.

You should be tested on what you know. My personal opinion is if you dont know the material from everyday work ... materials wont get you to understanding. EXPERIENCE ... thats the best study guide.

I know it doesnt help you in this instance (unless of course you have lots of experience) .. but its the truth. Im glad the tests have finally reached the point of being hard.

As for the comments made by Property Economics I only wish that all current Certified General, Certified Residential and all Lecensed Appraisers had to retake the new test to prove that they know and understand the appraisal industry. I would excuse anyone that currently holds the MAI designation since it is my understanding that the comprehensive exam is very similar to the new national exam.

JT1974

Professional Status
State
Wisconsin
I would excuse anyone that currently holds the MAI designation since it is my understanding that the comprehensive exam is very similar to the new national exam.

:rof: :rof: :rof:

GCJim

Professional Status
State
New Jersey
I believe if you know the material in the Book or CD with the name something like 'Questions and Answers to Help You Pass Your Real Estate Appraiser Exams' inside and out, together with the Income Cap text you've bben using, you can pass any certification exam. I used the CD and I loved it.
Good Luck!!

PropertyEconomics

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New Mexico
As for the comments made by Property Economics I only wish that all current Certified General, Certified Residential and all Lecensed Appraisers had to retake the new test to prove that they know and understand the appraisal industry. I would excuse anyone that currently holds the MAI designation since it is my understanding that the comprehensive exam is very similar to the new national exam.

Funny you should say that .. I asked if I could take the new exam so I could test my knowledge and was told no. Bummer ... I hope some practice tests like it come out. Im sure I will have to bone up on some terminology ... thats true .. but I hope there are real answers on the test and its not one of those you have to guess what they are asking.
Ive taken a number of AI tests, and they are hard, but if you know the material they are usually fair.

Boonders

Professional Status
State
Iowa
The new national test is similar to the MAI comprehensive exam? How long is the new test? The MAI comp is two days with a total of four modules that are 3 to 4 hours each.

PLCG

Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
The new certified general test is 8 hours with 30 minutes allowed for lunch.

SMF

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Virginia
The MAI exam is 250 questions with a maximum of 15 hours, The CG exam is 165 questions and a maximum of 8 hours. If you are using PSI exams which we do here in Virginia there is no break at all, no food, no drinks, no smoking, no leaving the building for the entire exam but you can use the bathroom (supervised). While the MAI exam is longer I looked at the sample questions for it and they are very similar to the ones on the new national CG exam. m2:

:peace: My real point however is not to deminish the MAI exam it is only to point out that there would be some real wake up calls and a lot of people would no longer be in the industry if they had to take the new exam. It would eliminate a whole lot of Skippy's.

:new_multi: FYI, I also just found out today that I passed the exam, and I am now a CG.:new_multi:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks