• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

The Afffordable Care Act

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Hicks (Texas)

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Texas
Well, I got the November letter. I am 57 years old. I am in good health. I made no claims on my insurance this year. I have made very few claims in my entire life. In reward, my current plan is not available anymore, but I have the opportunity to choose another plan for $1130 a month for one person with a $2500 deductible and 70/30 after deductible. That is up from $753 a month with better deductible and split. $1130 is officially over double my premium before the affordable care act. Why is this? What are my fellow appraisers doing about health insurance? Oh, trying to find insurance that the few doctors I use accept is next to impossible, also. What are we supposed to do?

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Carolina
Try going to a higher deductible. I have a HSA based policy with a $5k deductible and it pays 100% after the deductible is met. My monthly payment is less than $300 and you aren't much older than I am. Blue Cross and includes an annual physical, blood work, colonoscopy etc at no charge.

Pittsburgh Pete

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
Consult with an insurance broker. The policies sound way beyond the pale of what is common out there.

Eli

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
They aren't talking enough about it. Get insurance companies out of it. The market structure is messed up.

Ask congress what they have? Tell congress insurance companies cannot donate more than $50 to anybody.

Eli

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
The market structure is as messed up as the appraisal market structure. A pay day will come.

I would take whatever congress has gladly.

Last edited:

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
State
Michigan
I just removed the most vile, bigoted, racist, unprofessional and rude posts I have ever removed in eight years of moderating on this site. Any comments that are political will be removed.

This is a pertinent subject for self-employed people and can be a good discussion or a way for people to learn what others are doing with health insurance problems.

Again, no political comments will be tolerated.

Moderator.

Eli

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
I just removed the most vile, bigoted, racist, unprofessional and rude posts I have ever removed in eight years of moderating on this site. Any comments that are political will be removed.

This is a pertinent subject for self-employed people and can be a good discussion or a way for people to learn what others are doing with health insurance problems.

Again, no political comments will be tolerated.

Moderator.

Thanks. I can see the emotion and he prolly didn't mean half of what he said.

Elliott

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Oregon
The last medical insurance payment to Blue Cross I made was for $680 a month, 80/20, $3000 Deductible.....then I went on Medicare. Because I'm "rich" I pay the government $200, and another $200 per month goes to TransAmerica so I shouldn't have any doughnut holes or something. This last summer I had a fusion surgery that cost $30,000, and I probably out of pocket paid $200, and then they said, "oh, excuse us, here's $50 back." So hang in there, don't get sick, and become old and get on Medicare at 65. Be glad your not one of these young saps in their 30's who have to buy insurance for the next 30+ years.

Last edited:

Bobby Bucks

Elite Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
North Dakota
Since ACA and hope and change at gun point, my premiums have increased 160%. Without question, the deck is stacked. and there is virtually no competition. The only option for a self-employed, lone wolf is to shop for polices in other states and establish a broom closet residence in one with lower premiums. Interesting thing, my acquaintances who work for the government don't see what all the fuss is about, especially those who work for the federal government.

Reactions: Eli

Eli

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
Since ACA and hope and change at gun point, my premiums have increased 160%. Without question, the deck is stacked. and there is virtually no competition. The only option for a self-employed, lone wolf is to shop for polices in other states and establish a broom closet residence in one with lower premiums. Interesting thing, my acquaintances who work for the government don't see what all the fuss is about, especially those who work for the federal government.

The problem there with competition is the health insurance companies will fix prices. They have market power on price with collusive behavior. Sound familiar?

Or they will merge.

The Sherman Antitrust Act knew it.

When antitrust allegations are brought, they bow out like a baby. The market power on price is like a silver bullet or a wooden stake to a vampire.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks