• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

The Biggest Financial Risk For Women Today? Embarking On A Relationship

Status
Not open for further replies.

ucbruin

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Massachusetts
It was five years ago that Emma Cooper and her husband separated. Since then, her divorce has dominated her life. The 47-year-old has spent much time and energy fighting her ex in court – over custody of their three children and financial support.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...orce-women-risk-poverty-children-relationship

Seems to me that it's not the embarking on a relationship but rather the ending of one that impacts everyone and not just the women.....

Reactions: DTB

Riick

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Delaware
Sorry, couldn't bear to read it all, especially considering the good advice a friend of
mine got when he was considering getting married again:
"Instead of getting married again, why not just find a nice woman, and give her your house?"

Another friend was supporting his Ex (She had one child living with her).
Then, he lost his job, and went to Family Court. His Ex was livid that the
Court made her pay him support --- the 2nd child was living with him.

Equality is a simple idea, but so hard to put into practice.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
the 2nd child was living with him
I saw that in my family where he had to pay child support but had both kids. Finally, she disappeared only to pop up in court out of state and testify against her doper boyfriend she ratted out when she was busted with him on drug charges - meth. She then disappeared and the children never mention her much anymore. They are in their 20s now. She finally resurfaced but rarely calls her children, forgot almost every birthday they've had since they were six and four years old. They call their step-mother "mom".

I can say that in an estate of a local political soul who had been divorced four times, his three daughters complained that his estate should have been larger. Truth was four divorces means his "estate" was divided by half, then quartered, then one-eighth, then one-sixteenth. If he had been a millionaire (he wasn't), what was his worth then? I know for a fact, all four of his wives ended up with a house, and he repeatedly returned to an old two story home that was his grandparents.

From my personal experience, my last marriage lasted only 3± years but I went to the bank and borrowed an additional $40,000 on my house to get shed of her. That was paying off her credit cards, student loans she didn't disclose to me when we married, money she borrowed from her mother, bills she ran up while we were married, and her move to Tulsa, cost of my lawyer and hers, and court costs. She fought me to the point the judge told her to sign on the dotted line or pay the court costs and the lawyers.

Randolph Kinney

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
North Carolina
Equality is a terrible thing: it takes away advantages and it does not replace them. But you are equal. :)

Riick

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Delaware
^ ^ ^
HUMBUG

"All men are created equal...",
and, presumably,
All women are created equal.

:leeann: (Why do I want to add?: Much as they'd loath to admit that)

Noreen

Professional Status
State
New Hampshire
^ ^ ^
HUMBUG

"All men are created equal...",
and, presumably,
All women are created equal.

:leeann: (Why do I want to add?: Much as they'd loath to admit that)

That's how it is here, when my daughters first husband (arrogant JA) walked out on his wife and two children ( "he was too handsome to be married", yes that is a quote), he had to pay for one year then that stopped. They share custody and expenses, each maintains their own household. By this time, she was making just a bit more than he was.

D

Deleted member 134708

Single woman having kid in high school tops this.

Reactions: DTB

Randolph Kinney

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
North Carolina
Ramirez-060415-The-Evolution-of-Man.jpg

Riick

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Delaware
NICKNAMES
- If Laura, Kate and Sarah go out for lunch, they will call each other Laura, Kate and Sarah.
- If Mike, Dave and John go out, they will affectionately refer to each other as Fat Boy, Bubba and Wildman.

EATING OUT
- When the bill arrives, Mike, Dave and John will each throw in a $20, even though the total is $32.50. None of them will have anything smaller and none will actually admit they want change back.
- When the girls get their bill, out come the pocket calculators.

MONEY
- A man will pay $2 for a $1 item he needs.
- A woman will pay $1 for a $2 item that she doesn't need but it's on sale.

BATHROOMS
- A man has six items in his bathroom: toothbrush and toothpaste, shaving cream, razor, a bar of soap, and a towel.
- The average number of items in the typical woman's bathroom is 337. A man would not be able to identify more than 20 of these items.

ARGUMENTS
- A woman has the last word in any argument.
- Anything a man says after that is the beginning of a new argument.

FUTURE
- A woman worries about the future until she gets a husband.
- A man never worries about the future until he gets a wife.

MARRIAGE
- A woman marries a man expecting he will change, but he doesn't.
- A man marries a woman expecting that she won't change, but she does.

OFFSPRING
- Ah, children. A woman knows all about her children. She knows about dentist appointments and romances, best friends, favorite foods, secret fears and hopes and dreams.
- A man is vaguely aware of some short people living in the house.

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY: A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people remembering the same thing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks