• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

The Corporate Housing Crisis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oregon Doug

Professional Status
General Public
State
Oregon
Joe,

I refer to it as economic slavery and it's fairly common across much of the nation.

Oregon Doug

Couch Potato

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Carolina
Like Forest's momma said, "Stupid is as stupid does."

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
That's why so many people from CA are moving to Texas. 4 bedroom, 2.5 baths, 2200 SF, $140,000, in a planned unit development, 3 years old, parks, playgrounds, waterpark. Make the same $60,000, be able to afford a nice home.

Lee in L.A.

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
That's why so many people from CA are moving to Texas. 4 bedroom, 2.5 baths, 2200 SF, $140,000, in a planned unit development, 3 years old, parks, playgrounds, waterpark. Make the same $60,000, be able to afford a nice home.

But where's the beach, mountains, desert? :sad:
I don't mean to mess with Texas.
I love L.A. Warts and all. :)

Richard Carlsen

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
I understand this is perhaps a serious post with all sorts of good intentions but I for one am getting awfully sick of the use of the word "crisis" to describe anything that might be marginally news worthy. When I hear about the crisis in child care or highway construction or prescription cost or animal control or corporate housing, my first reaction is that the person making the statement has a political agenda and is trying to cast whomever is in office as the culprit causing the problem.

I know. It may be just me but to my way of thinking it is a warning sign that propaganda is headed my way. Just as the label "superstar" is bandied about on a running back who has not carried the foot ball yet or the basketball player who has played 1 game in the NBA, so to the use of the word "crisis" is overused to the point that if everything that is termed a crisis were in fact real, we would all be victims.

But then maybe that is what the author wants us to believe; that we are all victims.

Anyway, I sick and tired of everything being labeled a crisis.

Fred

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Virgin Islands
Eli, what difference does it make if your hapless protagonist works for a "corporation" or not?

Also, why can't the guy work at night in his home, develop a new gismo or software application, run an infomercial, make $10 million the first year, and build a house next to John Edwards that is even bigger than JE's, giving JE a housing "crisis"?

David Wimpelberg

Staff member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
New York
and build a house next to John Edwards that is even bigger than JE's, giving JE a housing "crisis"?

Hey!

That sounds like what goes on where I work!:rof:

Also, why can't the guy work at night in his home, develop a new gismo or software application, run an infomercial, make $10 million the first year

That doesn't always guarantee wealth, of course. One of my musician buddies has a patent on some type of toilet paper dispenser and still hasn't made a dime.:rof:

Marcia Langley

Professional Status
State
Missouri
Ah, the old 'average housing price versus average income' conundrum.

The only fundamental supply/demand relationship in this bubble/bust. Everything else is manipulation.

Jim Hill

Professional Status
State
Florida
Interesting Problem

I have always believed that as we go through life it is full of traps and if you manage to step in one of these traps it can cost a great deal of money to get back out.

Many of the investors who were purchasing homes with little money down and who did not see any end in sight to the real estate market are now in one of the those traps.

One of the problems many people have is they get the right answer to the wrong questions. I see this on a daily basis dealing with people all the time.

Another interesting thing that happens when you work for a company over the years is that you make a target out of yourself!

What I mean is you have gotten more money each year along with maybe promotions and your own office but this also has put a target on you.

I know many of my friend who spent years with different companies and moved right up the corp. ladder and when they hit their mid 50's were offered a package deal to get out.

When I started out years ago in the construction business I worked for my uncle and one day he asked me a question that changed my life.

He said do you plan on working hard and I said yes.

He then said that I should work for myself because why would you want to work hard to make someone else rich.

Jim Hill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks