• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

The down low

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonah

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Utah
I have always been told even by the State here that once a trainee licensing status was obtained the mentor was not required to accompany the trainee on inspections. Subsequently I have learned that they now say that the mentor has to accompany the trainee on any Federal related transaction. Has anyone heard this as well. I wonder what other secrets are being kept by them until it is too late.

Tom Barclay

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Oregon
You have to abide by your state requirements, and the requirements of the lender/client. Is this a lender requirement, or the state's?

OSU Beavers

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Oregon
In Washington the mentor is only required to accompany the trainee on the first 20 inspections. In Oregon the mentor and trainee are required to be "tied by the hip" on all work. This is why my traniee took 23 months to get his hours while the skippy appraisal mill up in Washington has six trainees running all over my county unaccompanied racking up hours at breakneck speed. Your state may differ.

Richard Carlsen

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
Since inspections are not a USPAP or state licensing requirement, I think you are confusing signing an appraisal vs doing an inspection. In Michigan, if the transaction is Federally related, a Limited License appraiser may not sign the appraisal report.

So if it is for a $25,000 Federally related loan, the Limited may not sign it. If it is a $16,000,000 beach front castle for a divorce, a Limited may sign it.

Make sense? :shrug:

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
Several issues here. First, there is/are state license law mandates. To the best of my knowledge my state has no stated number of inspections that must be done by the supervisory appraiser. Second, under USPAP...competency. When does a trainee become competent to conduct the appraisal inspection on his/her own? Usual answer...it depends on the person and complexity of the assignment. Lastly, there are lender requirements. Most of my clients specify that the supervisory appraiser MUST inspect the subject property. If the request is from HUD, VA, or Fannie Mae then it is a supplemental standard (gone after the first of the year).

So, what is the answer? Check with your state license law, read your engagement letter, and scrutinize you trainee for competency!

Larboard

Professional Status
State
Michigan
Since inspections are not a USPAP or state licensing requirement, I think you are confusing signing an appraisal vs doing an inspection. In Michigan, if the transaction is Federally related, a Limited License appraiser may not sign the appraisal report.

So if it is for a $25,000 Federally related loan, the Limited may not sign it. If it is a $16,000,000 beach front castle for a divorce, a Limited may sign it.

Make sense? :shrug:
In Michigan a Limited Real Estate Appraiser may not sign the appraisal for any real estate related financial transaction or federally related transactions.
From Article 26 339.2601 Definitions:
"Limited real estate appraiser" means an individual licensed under section 2611 to perform appraisals of real property not involving real estate related financial transactions or federally related transactions that require the services of a state licensed real estate appraiser, certified residential real estate appraiser, or certified general real estate appraiser.
This doesn't change the example though. If it is not for a real estate financing transaction and it is not for a federally related transaction, a Limited Real Estate Appraiser may sign the report.

Couch Potato

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
The law that sets up federal regulation of trainees has passed the house and is in the senate, until it's passed and implemented, it is very different from state to state.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
The mish mash of state laws described above only painfully makes it so very clear that the Feds need to make these rules and not the states. It is idiotic to make USPAP supposedly uniform and not make the limitations and training uniform. And, frankly, reciprocity between states should be mandatory. I can drive from Colorado to Arkansas without obtaining an Oklahoma license can't I? But the rules are uniform, I am responsible for obeying their traffic laws.

VolcanoLvr

Professional Status
State
Washington
OSU.....

A WA state trainee must be accompanied by a Certified supervisor on 25 inspections, not 20.

WAC 308-125-095:
(i) Personally inspect with the trainee, at a minimum, the interior of twenty-five subject properties.

Jonah

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Utah
I don't think I described the situation right, sorry. Lets try this again. I am not training anyone. This is a problem that is happening to a good honest appraiser that I know. When I first started being a trainee 4 years ago the state mandated that the mentor inspect the property with the trainee for the first 100 points. Once the points were accumulated the trainee would turn them over to the state along with their education requirements. If everything was OK they would issue an appraiser trainee license. At this point I had been told that the mentor no longer needed to inspect the property with the trainee as long as it was not too complex. I verified this with the state and that is how they put it. Now the state is telling this appraiser that they require the mentor to inspect the property with the trainee for any federal related transaction. They also told him that the mentor has to do the inspection when the trainee does not at a later time in the day. This concerns me because how am I as an appraiser supposed to follow their guidelines if they are not giving me the proper answers to my questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks