• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

The sky really isn't falling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
FORT CARSON ADDRESSES GROWTH

Army leaders and Colorado Springs officials answered questions and spoke about the upcoming influx of soldiers at Fort Carson. Army officials say about 30-thousand soldiers and 40-thousand of their spouses and children will relocate to the Mountain Post and surrounding area by the year 2011. Seventy-percent of these people will live off post in Colorado Springs, Fountain, Fremont County and other areas. Army leaders addressed concerns about whether these areas will be able to accommodate the incoming families without putting a strain on resources like schools, doctors and water supplies. The Pikes Peak Area Council of Governments is accepting questions and other input about the Fort Carson expansion at its website, PPACG.org.

LOCAL ECONOMY LOOKING GOOD

Economic experts in Colorado Springs have a positive outlook on the local economy in spite of record foreclosures and the threat of a recession. Economists say market numbers have been steady following two-years of declines. Realtor Kevin Patterson says Colorado's housing market has not had a dramatic up-and-down movement like other states. Patterson says homes are taking about four-months to sell, but sellers are not losing much money. Economist Fred Crowley says he believes Colorado Springs' housing market has bottomed out. Crowley predicts foreclosures will go down next year once the influx of Fort Carson soldiers provides the city with an economic boost.

Ariba

Professional Status
State
Colorado
Mike,

With all do respect, what did the Colorado Springs Leaders say about the Colorado Springs Airport in the early nineties. Something along the lines that it would give DIA a run for the money. Look at all the roadway construction and capacity they built for the airport.

How about Powers Boulevard and the Banning Lewis master plan in the 90's. I believe they declared bankruptcy.

What about the Pinon Canyon expansion announced by the army last year. Will it really happen?

Bottom line, don't believe everything they say. Who knows maybe the Democrats will close the base next year.

Lee in L.A.

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
I guess economics, like politics, is all local. :new_rainbow:

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
The Colorado Springs airport is doing just fine. Banning Lewis ranch just opened the first filings, the City of Colorado Springs bailed out all of the Special Improvement Districts (SIDS), Fort Carson just announced 30,000 additional troops and 40,000 dependants coming to Colorado Springs beginning next year and completing in 2011. None of Colorado Springs military installations were on the Base Closure and Re-alignment list (BRACS). Piñon Canyon never was a practical solution...look for expansion into southern El Paso, northern Pueblo, and Fremont counties.

I have been through this several times, this too shall pass. I think you are too much of a pessimist!

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
Back in the 80s, Frank Aries and the largest foreclosure in Colorado (24,000 acres). Ask your dad.

Patti Jury

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Colorado
Back in the 1980's....must have lived elsewehere then...

I just know there is great interest in BL now....so I am really not sure what point Ron was trying to make...and yes I do know as my Father is involved.

Remember the late 1990's when the other troop influx took place. Proved to be great things for the Springs.

Yes times are slow..this too shall pass.

Ariba

Professional Status
State
Colorado
The Colorado Springs airport is doing just fine.

The Airport has not lived up to the original expections.

Banning Lewis ranch just opened the first filings, the City of Colorado Springs bailed out all of the Special Improvement Districts (SIDS)

This is over +20 years after fact, with a bailout from the government to boot. Tens of thousands of homes should have been already been built according to the original filings.

Fort Carson just announced 30,000 additional troops and 40,000 dependants coming to Colorado Springs beginning next year and completing in 2011. None of Colorado Springs military installations were on the Base Closure and Re-alignment list (BRACS).

Time will tell. But I would not bet the house on it.

Piñon Canyon never was a practical solution...look for expansion into southern El Paso, northern Pueblo, and Fremont counties.

That is what they say now.

I have been through this several times, this too shall pass.

There is one characteristic that all the great Empires throughout history hold in common: they all eventually fell. From the glory days of Rome to the time when the Ottomans dominated Asia to the days when the sun never set on Britain's holdings, every empire that dominated the world has seen their power crumble away.

Dee Dee

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
FORT CARSON ADDRESSES GROWTH

Army leaders and Colorado Springs officials answered questions and spoke about the upcoming influx of soldiers at Fort Carson. Army officials say about 30-thousand soldiers and 40-thousand of their spouses and children will relocate to the Mountain Post and surrounding area by the year 2011. Seventy-percent of these people will live off post in Colorado Springs, Fountain, Fremont County and other areas. Army leaders addressed concerns about whether these areas will be able to accommodate the incoming families without putting a strain on resources like schools, doctors and water supplies. The Pikes Peak Area Council of Governments is accepting questions and other input about the Fort Carson expansion at its website, PPACG.org.

Next time we get together, I want to be the one who buys YOU a beer (or two).

I wasn't going to say anything because I know how proud you are of your city, but there's something that's just a wee bit sad about an economy that would be in big trouble if peace breaks out. :peace:

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
Dee Dee darlin....

I love you like a sister! When I was in the Air Force (SAC) our motto was..."Peace is our Profession". A strong military is our only hope for peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks