• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

The trouble with "lender-ordered" appraisals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug in NC

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Carolina
I've heard a lot recently about outrageously low fees, but today I was shocked to learn what a lender is charging for a PMI-related appraisal - $550!

Hey, I'm not complaining about generous appraisal fees, but I guarantee the appraiser isn't getting that cut. This lender is a big one. Wow.

To me, this is a restraint of trade. The homeowner is forced to use the lender's select appraisers only (probably from their own AMC). Competition has been eliminated. Posters here like to point out the unethical actions of some appraisers, but imagine the ramifications of what lenders do on a daily basis (especially the big boys).
I guess this is just one of the increasing fees that banks will be reportedly raising to make up for faltering profits in the mortgage sector.

Last edited:

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Georgia
$550? Well, I see they've had a fee increase of $50 since the last time I got an accidental fax in 2003.

Professional Status
State
Colorado
I dunno -- it sounds okay to me.

You have to remember -- this fee has to cover both an appraisal and a review, and possibly a field review or second appraisal. In this market, no lender is going to give up their PMI without making sure the value in a random appraisal is really supported.

Plus, you can't expect a lender to take a loss on something that is of no benefit to them -- it takes work and costs money to even process the PMI removal request, and lender shouldn't have to eat the cost of increasing their risk.

Doug in NC

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
I dunno -- it sounds okay to me.

You have to remember -- this fee has to cover both an appraisal and a review, and possibly a field review or second appraisal. In this market, no lender is going to give up their PMI without making sure the value in a random appraisal is really supported.

Plus, you can't expect a lender to take a loss on something that is of no benefit to them -- it takes work and costs money to even process the PMI removal request, and lender shouldn't have to eat the cost of increasing their risk.
Then again if they hired good quality appraisers in the first place, there wouldn't be much need for the other services.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks