• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

The World's Best Kept Auto Secret

Status
Not open for further replies.

StephHigdem

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Idaho
A bit of trivia that appeared in my inbox yesterday...

For those of you who drive more than one car on a regular basis , or are old and don't remember well , this could come in very handy.

I have been driving (legally) for over 6 decades. One would think I would have noticed the little secret on my dash that was staring me right in the face the whole time. I didn't and I bet you probably haven't either.

Quick question, what side of your car is your gas tank? If you are anything like me, you probably can't remember right away. My solution is to uncomfortably stick my head out the window, strain my neck and look. If you don't do this in your own car you definately have done it in a borrowed or rental car.

Well ladies and gentlemen, I'm going to share with you my little secret so you will no longer look like Ace Ventura on your way to the gas station or put your neck at risk of uncomfort or injury.

If you look at your gas gauge, you will see a small icon of a gas pump. The handle of the gas pump will extend out on either the left or right side of the pump. If your tank is on the left, the handle will be on the left. If your tank is on the right, the handle will be on the right. It is that simple!

I don't know how you feel right now but when I found out this morning I felt cheated!

Why don't the dealers share such important information with car buyers? I don't understand why this isn't in the drivers ed manual? I don't get why any mechanic I have ever been too or know has even thought of mentioning this to me? The only possible explanation can be that all these people probably don't even know!

Go out and share the worlds best kept auto secret with your friends as this is information is way too important to be kept secret.

Mike Boyd

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California

For those of you who drive more than one car on a regular basis , or are old and don't remember well , this could come in very handy.

I have been driving (legally) for over 6 decades. One would think I would have noticed the little secret on my dash that was staring me right in the face the whole time. I didn't and I bet you probably haven't either.

You must be older than I am if you have been driving for over 6 decades.......unless you are counting time steering the tractor through the fields or sitting on dad's lap.

I know which side the gas tank cap is on for my own car but never know if driving a rental or someone else's car.

By the way, my first two cars the cap was in the center just under the windshielf....in front. One or two others through the years was in the center rear. You had to flip back the license plate to get to the filler cap.

GOOD TIP, though. I certainly did not know that. ]

Ms. Janet

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
LA LA LA LA LA, I'm not listening!

I think its fun driving in circles, backing up, and turning around again trying to get close to the gas handle on the right side...even better is to watch someone else doing it

:rof::rof::rof::rof:

Thomas Fiehler

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Ohio
I believe that the automakers have been putting that symbol on the dash since about 2000. I do believe its on all cars made since then.

TC

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
My wife pointed that out to me about 2 months ago, I acted like I knew it. :)

TC

murray stroupe

Professional Status
General Public
State
Tennessee
Re ; Wonder

You must be older than I am if you have been driving for over 6 decades.......unless you are counting time steering the tractor through the fields or sitting on dad's lap.

I know which side the gas tank cap is on for my own car but never know if driving a rental or someone else's car.

By the way, my first two cars the cap was in the center just under the windshielf....in front. One or two others through the years was in the center rear. You had to flip back the license plate to get to the filler cap.

GOOD TIP, though. I certainly did not know that. ]
============================
Wonder where it is if the filler cap is under the license plate?????

Another solution, ginko baloba helps with memory;
but dont exspect it to take the place of a spell checker.LOL

Tony V

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New York
Sorry, I have known that for years....Ya should have asked...

And I believe that they are no longer allowed to put the filler in the middle of the rear....I beleive that the Ford Pinto ended that design...

Lee in L.A.

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
That's a new one on me. Not that I drive too many strange cars. I think all my usual 3 have a left side fill. And it's irrelevant for motorcycles. :leeann2:

Reminds me for some reason that blue reflectors in the middle of the street mark a fireplug off to the side. :clapping:

I wondered for a long time why those were there before I learned that little factoid. :shrug:

TEL2002

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Louisiana
Hey, this dang world is just changing & moving to fast. I still have troubles since they moved the bright/dim headlight switch from the floor to one of the steering column controls. Every once in a while I get careless and end up getting my foot stuck in the steering wheel.m2:

Amy Perkins

Professional Status
State
Tennessee
I learned something new today, thank you, and my neck thanks you as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks