• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

The World's Best Kept Razor Secret

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug in NC

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Carolina
I heard this on Clark Howard's show and wanted to share it. An engineer called in one day and explained that your shaving razors will almost never get dull if you clean and thoroughly dry them after each use. Since then, others have been experimenting with the idea and one guy mentioned using the same razor for over a year and it's still going.

Apparently it is the moisture that dulls the blade. I always thought it was the cutting through whiskers that dulled the blade. Hey, this may not save you thousands but why replace razor blades every few weeks when they could be lasting you months?

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
I leared to shave using a straight razor, al la Sweeny Todd. I can assure you that cutting through a beard will dull a razor. Not water, not soap, but friction and impact on the cutting edge. I cleaned and dried the razor after every use, but if I didn't strop it to restrore the edge, you could tell it the next day.

Lee in L.A.

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
I prefer the electric thing. Doesn't shave quite as close and clean. But less mess, and it does good enough. It's just gonna grow right back anyway. :shrug:

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Georgia
I leared to shave using a straight razor, al la Sweeny Todd. I can assure you that cutting through a beard will dull a razor. Not water, not soap, but friction and impact on the cutting edge. I cleaned and dried the razor after every use, but if I didn't strop it to restrore the edge, you could tell it the next day.

Ditto to Strahan, a blade wears away with every use. I laughed my arse off when I heard that show. If you really want to be cheap, get your Grandpaw's old two sided, single blade razor and strop that before every use. It make take you 30 years to wear it down to where the edge won't stick out beyond the holding bracket, but the pennies will scream from all the pinching!

Last edited:

Mike Boyd

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
A throw away razor will last me at least two weeks. They are so cheap I don't worry about extended use. I have a full beard, now, and only trim my beard using hair clippers. For some reason, I never figured out why.........when any razor is used by a female to shave legs, etc., it is too dull to use again.

Joker

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Ohio
How do I keep my Andis blades sharp? I assure you they get dull just from clipping hair. They do need sharpening at least once a season.

MARK JOLLIFF

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
California
I remember years ago I had a date with a really pretty woman and went out and bought new clothes, haircut etc. I forgot to buy razors though. My roomate used one of those old style razors where you drop the blade in the top and I borrowed it. I almost died of blood loss. I had probably 15 pieces of toilet paper stuck to my face. It turned out o.k though cuz my date couldn't stop laughing at my story. Just disposables for this dummy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks