• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

They (appraisal Foundation) Are Turning Us Into Dinosaurs! 100 For USPAP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Sutton

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Missouri
I was just notified that we are being charged $100 for a copy of the updated USPAP. I know some of you have been paying for your copy for years. Who are these people?

This is NOT the 1800's. Every appraiser should be given a digital copy of USPAP, FOR FREE! It should be blasted in PDF all over the internet for all to see and have access to. How do they expect anyone (including the general public) to appreciate and have knowledge of the book of rules that regulate appraisers if they are keeping it under lock and key?

There are so many things that are getting screwed up right now by whoever is running the show and various state and national levels, public and private sectors.

Why are we being ran out of town by desktop valuations instead of loosening some of the tight restrictions governing appraisers?

Why does everyone love desktop valuations so much but still insist an inspection of comps for original comp photos is at all necessary to establish a REASONABLY credible opinion of value? Loosen the noose around our necks a little bit and we can be more efficient for the hustlers that think loans need to close in 10 days.

As appraisers, we are basically only allowed to offer Cadillac valuation products when the market is clearly YELLING..."we want a Prius"!!!!! Wake up people. Give us the tools we need to compete with computers or we are going to be obsolete in a few years. Yes, there will always be a need a need for rural and complex appraisals, but there are not enough of those to sustain and entire industry.

The $100 USPAP book is just a sign of how out of touch our leaders are with OUR needs.

D

Deleted member 134708

You see it clearly my man.

You have to drive by comps which actually lowers appraisal quality yet can do desktops all day long and they fly just fine. Appraisal quality lowered when have to drive comps due to all appraisers get comps incorrectly pre-inspection over a course of maybe 5 minute search.

To me that says, we (reads industry) don't see a need to update the 1004 model as desktops are going to be future very quickly.

I've gotten so many emails from all these AMC's starting up the desktops. As in, I never heard of them Jan 1st, to I have 20 new AMC's offering them now out of no where and they are trying to fill desktop panels only. They are separating them out.

Sean Sutton

Professional Status
State
Missouri
I don't have the answer but I think if you don't see the writing on the wall, you are blind.

I cannot understand why we are not being given a chance to fight for our livelihoods. We are being pushed over a cliff with our hands tied behind our backs.

I understand loan production is not on our side, but what about chief appraisers? What about appraisal boards allowing these desktop products be completed in their state?

DESKTOP products signed off on by a Certified Appraiser who has never seen the house will, without a doubt, erode public trust in our profession.

Does anyone here have experience complaining to their state boards about desktop activity in their state? If so, what did you say? What was the outcome?

We should string up all appraisers completing these desktop assignments. Are you are retiree that is sinking the industry that has been good to you on your way out the door? Typical of baby boomers but still ridiculous none the less.

I don't think full time appraisers are the one's completing these type of assignments. Its retired or lazy appraisers that don't want to leave the house.

TRESinc

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Ohio
USPAP.org has a digital copy you can view for free. it's not what you are looking for but it's a step...

jay trotta

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Connecticut
I don't have the answer but I think if you don't see the writing on the wall, you are blind.

I cannot understand why we are not being given a chance to fight for our livelihoods. We are being pushed over a cliff with our hands tied behind our backs.

I understand loan production is not on our side, but what about chief appraisers? What about appraisal boards allowing these desktop products be completed in their state?

DESKTOP products signed off on by a Certified Appraiser who has never seen the house will, without a doubt, erode public trust in our profession.

Does anyone here have experience complaining to their state boards about desktop activity in their state? If so, what did you say? What was the outcome?

We should string up all appraisers completing these desktop assignments. Are you are retiree that is sinking the industry that has been good to you on your way out the door? Typical of baby boomers but still ridiculous none the less.

I don't think full time appraisers are the one's completing these type of assignments. Its retired or lazy appraisers that don't want to leave the house.

The Tail has been wagging the Dog for 10 years, did you actually think we had a shot ?? We were thrown under the bus along time ago and with all the New Rocket Science being developed on appraisal services, it is nearly over. I have an old mouse trap, the cheese sits where it should and the result is satisfactory; all the New mousetraps run a 360 (go round & round in circles) but do not and can not provide a different end result.
Back in the day, appraisers discovered Predatory Lending, brought it to the (what everyone thought) powers that be to prevent further damage; here we are 10 years later and now we have no credibility within the business. As is typical within the computer market, the programs being invented will out strip the regulations & guidelines and your "Certification" will be just another piece of paper rolled up into a ball in the waste basket. It is similar to gathering a College Degree to find there are limited Jobs in the Field of What you were educated for.

And those that are not Geographically Competent are controlling your livelihood, with an assembly of math products, that can do just about anything related to the Real Estate Industry and will be attempting to Control, Supply & Demand. Ahhh the Free Market...........

D

Deleted member 134708

So I have only 1 real life appraiser friend in San Diego that does desktops.

He has told me 2 of his desktops AMC's just assign nationwide, don't care about GEO-anything. This AM, he told me a very large AMC is going to start up doing desktops and they don't care about GEO-anything either. No clue how getting away with but before it was just small fish assigning desktops to CA appraisers in LA, NY, FL etc. Now a very large AMC on-board too. Appraiser in CA doing desktops all day long on properties in NY, gotta love it.

Sean Sutton

Professional Status
State
Missouri
So I have only 1 real life appraiser friend in San Diego that does desktops.

He has told me 2 of his desktops AMC's just assign nationwide, don't care about GEO-anything. This AM, he told me a very large AMC is going to start up doing desktops and they don't care about GEO-anything either. No clue how getting away with but before it was just small fish assigning desktops to CA appraisers in LA, NY, FL etc. Now a very large AMC on-board too. Appraiser in CA doing desktops all day long on properties in NY, gotta love it.

No market area or niche is safe...we are all going to be scrambling looking for the cheese.

J Grant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida

You make assumptions about desktop work that are not what I understand of them, based on a sample of posts by Dan Wiley and others who have experience with them. They are mostly done by staff appraisers, not by retirees. They do not replace traditional appraisals, they are done for other uses such as HELOC loans or other purposes. Their expansion comes from the regulatory requirement to upgrade an AVM only for many mortgage products that previously used an AVM to at minimum an evaluation with in some cases a drive by inspection- thus the desktop appraisal part comprises the valuation, and a non appraiser snaps the ext photo. (if an ext inspection is part of it)

The fees are low but it is work so I suppose it fills a niche. If some want to take on desktop work, it leaves more field work for you.. I dislike the fact that desktops my be done by non GEO competent people and wouldn't touch that , but as a geo specific product I can't see where it is a bad thing since it is additional appraisal work, not a replacement for a field 1004 appraisal.

Bifurcated appraisals is a weird development...how much it will be used remains to be seen. Chief Appraisers at AMC's or lenders are hired to profit their companies, not to protect fees or help appraisers retain a market share.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
so I suppose it fills a niche.
It does so by cannibalizing work that would otherwise be done by an appraiser, and from about 1992 - 2010 were done by an appraiser. The use of an evaluator was rare in my market, now most banks segregate the below $250,000 work strictly for evaluations no matter how complex, and the rest is allocated among the idled appraisers.

Many small banks were doing some of the evals in house using a loan officer but FDIC discouraged that. Now they use companies that "do" evaluations and some do both, using non-appraisers for eval and appraisers for above de minimus work. All the below $250,000 work I did for 4 local banks has now been replaced by evaluations although the lending officers don't like nor trust them. I've had a call this week trying to get me to "re-up" on their vendor list as an appraiser. Sorry, for the one or two jobs a year they might offer, they can find someone else. Not worth the effort. They used to provide 20 to 30 assignments that were below $250K.

So there is only going to be X amount of work per year. It was mostly done by appraisers prior to 2010 and D-F. But now, evaluations have sucked much of the air out of the room. So cut rate products replace full rate products and pretending that the use of the evaluation or hybrid product isn't at the expense of full priced products is pretty pollyannish. And that even applies to much of the secondary market work as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks