• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

They Just Won't Stop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Francois K. Gregoire

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
Hi All,

Posted today on The Appraisal Foundation site:

HEADLINES

AQB Third Exposure Draft on revising the Real Property Appraiser Qualification Criteria - Issued October 11, 2002

The Third Exposure Draft on revising the Real Property Appraiser Qualification
Criteria.

The intent of this document is to obtain comments from appraisers, users of appraisal services, regulators, and the public. This is the second (sic) of at least two exposures on this material.

-----------------------------------------------------

More of the same. The most alarming change is a proposal to allow up to 50% of experience to be satisfied by case studies. Too many other changes to summarize. Take a look at page 7 for the AQB list (14 from the Second Exposure Draft).

Here's the link - ANOTHER AQB EXPOSURE DRAFT

Ross (CO)

Professional Status
State
Colorado
Frank, ..... Thanks for sharing that link and I guess we've known it was coming down the pike. I went there and opened it and scrolled through the 28 pages. Yes, quite a lot of meat and potatoes and heaps of potential changes for the future to come, as if there are not enough regular changes to deal with anyway. Curiously, though, when I saw the title of your posting, I was wondering just who the "They" was to which you were referring. ....And I read along with the varied educational requirements and materials to be schooled in and amounts of hours required and I was left with one major theme repeating in my head. All this seems just like Congress and the ever-present drum beat ( from a certain type of politician ) for "more laws", more regulations and more oversight. Dang it all, we have enough laws. How about enforcing the ones we have ! How does 90,000+ appraisers across the land all notching themselves up at least one peg on the education and training ladder really help ? Certainly knowing "more" is good but sometimes not so good as knowing "better". We could all have PhD.'s, but that does not stop the grossly erroneous, ethically challenged, corruptable and fraudulent player in the arena from still mucking up the system and costing alot of folks alot of misery. Where's the system to pluck the bad apples from the barrel and instantly cast them aside, big time ? That goes too for many of those in the vast client pool who are out their pushing such temptations. Even if I were a Cert. Gen. and thought that the suburban 2-story with 3-car had a current value of $325K.....and the L.O. and the homeowner are really sure it's worth $400K......my license level will have served no one. The collaborators will move on till they find the person who sees things their way. The h/o gets his cash-out re-fi, he buys the new Hummer 2 and five months later the software engineering firm cans him. Same old, same old. I got really excited about the suggested course topic called "Geological Characteristics of Land and Sites".....man, I could eat that stuff up like candy because I "am one". Then I give some description to what is around and under a subject property....and someone wnats to sue me because I do not have Colorado's state-issued Geologist License. Like you said, Frank, "they just won't stop".

Ross (CO)

Professional Status
State
Colorado
P.S....now that my rant is over....I had a nice lunch meeting today with Pamela Crowley, as she is visiting our state and around the table were Pam, Mike Garrett, Dee Dee, Patty Jury and I. A few adult soda pops, good food and some shop talk.....but not too much shop talk. One comment echoed by most was a planned national convening of Forum participants, in a fun place, with some "Educational" credits earned from scheduled sessions. Wayne ?, any thoughts for summer 2003 ?

Head Surfer

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Yeah in Colorado.

I hope to spend the summer there next year. So I am looking for a 3 month furnished rental, a condo or townhouse in either Central, NW, or West areas of Colorado Springs. Not in the high priced resort or mountain areas. For May, June, and July.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
Would have been tempted to swing that way but I delayed my trip to Tucson until the 21st. Jeep is in the shop. Next break down and I suspect I will have a small grave side service for it and go back to driving Chevys.
ter

Judy Whitehead (Florida)

Professional Status
State
Florida
Colorado sounds great to me. It would give me a good excuse to visit with a few friends and family, as well, and "write the trip off" if we get CE credits for it. Wayne was out there last summer, weren't you?

Head Surfer

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Colorado sounds great to me. It would give me a good excuse to visit with a few friends and family, as well, and "write the trip off" if we get CE credits for it. Wayne was out there last summer, weren't you?

Judy I have been out there for a short period of time each of the last 3 summers. Last summer I had lunch with Mike and Ross, however this summer I missed them as my trip was very short. However next year I want to stay at least 2 or possibly 3 months or even more!

I don't know about the CE, you would have to ask someone knowledgeable about it. Also, someone would need to organize it, I wouldn't want to be responsible for that. Whoever is a good organizer and likes that sort of thing feel free to step in and do it.

We can really do a lot together with the forum as the common bond that we all have, all it takes is a few ideas and a few people willing to work on them. I just don't have time to do it all.

Judy Whitehead (Florida)

Professional Status
State
Florida
You must be spread pretty thin! I can only imagine. At least you can work with a computer anywhere you want to, can't you? As far as the CE is considered - somehow I always end up having to take the whole course anyway as whatever I did isn't quite what I needed! Just my luck.

We often go out west in the summer, but usually to Lake Tahoe. We could easily stop in Colorado. Hope it works out for everyone!

Head Surfer

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
You must be spread pretty thin! I can only imagine. At least you can work with a computer anywhere you want to, can't you? As far as the CE is considered - somehow I always end up having to take the whole course anyway as whatever I did isn't quite what I needed! Just my luck.

We often go out west in the summer, but usually to Lake Tahoe. We could easily stop in Colorado. Hope it works out for everyone!

No Judy actually I am not spread pretty thin, I just don't care to be the one in charge of organizing meetings and things like that. At this point in my life I do the things I enjoy doing and stay away from those that I don't like to do. Hope this doesn't come across the wrong way, but that's the way I see it.

Yes I can work anywhere there is an internet connection, that's why I would be able to stay in Colorado for 3 months.

Thanks for your participation!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks