• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Things I Did To Get Started.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich Hahn

Professional Status
General Public
State
Colorado
Years ago I was a starving registered appraiser. Now a starving Certified Appraiser.

A few things you might try to get your foot in the door are as follows.

1. Call your local Habitat for Humanity Chapter and donated your services. I actually did a few for them.
2. Did an appraisal on the home I lived in.
3. Volunteer your services for measuring homes and printing out a neat looking sketch to Realtors..FOR A FEE of course..plus with your camera you can give them some pictures as well. Can delivery it email or on a disk. I know of a few people who make a living just measuring for Realtors.
4. Go to the Realtors marketing breakfasts, donuts and coffee are usually free. Dont be shy its just a few Realors(lots of newbies), title reps, loan originators, etc all pitching there services, or listings. Network or pitch your service.
5. Do estate appraisal for relatives(parents hint hint).
6. Try to do some Attorney appraisal..no license required in many states.
7. Season is over but tax protest appraisals are potential.
8. Go to neighborhoods where new homes are being built and walk through the 1/2 built homes. Walk through ones with just walls and foundation and walk through ones that are 99% complete. They are usually unlocked during the days. This has no income potential but will really help in understanding the basics from the ground up. If your lucky and the Sup is around ask lots of questions. Hopefully they will have time to chat with you.
9. Go to the appraisal board hearings. Some states will give you CE credit.
10. Go to zoning hearings its amazing what one can learn from these.
11. Tour model homes in new neighborhoods. You may have seen them as just 2x4 walls, now look at the final product, really helps with the "subject to" reports.
12. Tour the Realtor open homes. Someday they will be a comp and now you can say you've seen the interior and the condition you rate it will be even more belivable.

Practise with your software or MLS if your hooked up. Most appraisal form fill programs are very similar but if you know the form once you get a mentor you are light years ahead of the competition. Speed and accuracy are essential in making more then just a living so dont wait to get hired start now. Many software COs are more then willing to give you a DEMO package. They know once your in and you know their software you will more then likely buy.

Bottom line dont give up. Like Ive PM'ed some newbies stick in there the income and independence is worth it. Dont let others cause you to give up. I didnt.

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
Rich:

Thank you for that positive post! :beer:

Practice appraising your friends and relatives homes, " Oh you are refinancing? I just got my house appraised by...{insert appraiser name} , you might call him/her... :idea:

Walter Kirk

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
New Jersey
When I started I spent one summer with a tax revaluation company. I inspected hundreds of houses as well as dozens of building lots. I didn't make much money but I learned a lot. As part of the training ideas the reval company got the keys to vacant houses from real estate brokers and we inspected them for practice.

I would suggest that trainees avoid the computer and do a few practice appraisals by hand, write out all of the descriptions and do all of the math.
Computer programs are great time savers but you must understand what you are writing before you can call yourself an appraiser.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
Walt, Walt, Walt......I can't even do an appraisal by hand anymore!

Learn the software, embrace the software, love the software. I could walk up Pikes Peak but driving up in a car is much more enjoyable. Same with doing appraisals on a computer.

Head Surfer

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Originally posted by Mike Garrett@ RAA,Aug 11 2003, 01:18 PM
I could walk up Pikes Peak but driving up in a car is much more enjoyable.
Beg to differ on that one Mike. Spent many hours walking up Pike's Peak last time I was there, much more enjoyable than driving! B)

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
But you, sir, are much younger than I...of course, isn't nearly everyone on the forum? :rofl:

I have a few fourteeners to my credit. Call me lazy but I prefer to ride. Not sure I could handle that hike any more. Actually my favorite thing to do is have two couples...one couple rides up on the train while the other drives up the mountain...then you switch at the top. That way you get to see two sides of the mountain.

Walter Kirk

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
New Jersey
Mike,
Sure you can drive up Pikes Peak, I would love to drive my Porsche up there. My point is that although you can drive, you must know how to walk just to get to the parking lot.

Seriously, I have seen quite a few "appraisers" who have no understanding of the appraisal process, they just bang on the keyboard.

vargasteve

Professional Status
State
California
Good post - buy a typing training program (the are basically a GAME) (I had one I believe is still around called Typing Tudor), learn how to type faster than a speeding bullet. A read a real good post on this forum where perhaps one of the main reason someone got a job was due to fast typing skills.

Rich Hahn

Professional Status
General Public
State
Colorado
OK a real secret dont let it out

We have done appraisals for people in the middle of a divoroce(we only collected 1/2 fee)..guess what we are witing for..other half

Weve inspected properties by buyers who cant wait to buy a prop. 2 years ago, Still waiting for payment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks