• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

This Is A Question About Dog/dogs At An Appraisal Appointment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Debra

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Tennessee
We went to a property appointment today. When I set up the appointment I was told that there were dogs at the property but all they would/might do is bark and I knew that the property was still occupied but the home owner would not be there when I went to the property. To make a long story short, the dogs acted like they might bite!-definitely might bite!! We left not long after we got into the property and were happy to get outside without being hurt. I called the scheduling contact (who said the home owner insisted that it would be o. k. and etc.) and I asked the contact person if somebody could come meet us at the property like an owner or the listing realtor or anybody and they could not so I scheduled for the another day when a home owner could be there to keep the dogs away during the property appointment. How would you or should I have handled this situation? For example, would you have not made an appointment at all till somebody could be there or have the dogs put up? Would you ask for a trip fee at this point or not even tell your client about the situation or? Thanks for advise!

If advised dogs are there, I will not go. I've been bit too many times. The last one left scars and ruined a pair of pants and the owner was there. I can't afford that now being diabetic. They can put the **** things up. That's what they make dog cages for.

We went to a property appointment today. When I set up the appointment I was told that there were dogs at the property but all they would/might do is bark and I knew that the property was still occupied but the home owner would not be there when I went to the property. To make a long story short, the dogs acted like they might bite!-definitely might bite!! We left not long after we got into the property and were happy to get outside without being hurt. I called the scheduling contact (who said the home owner insisted that it would be o. k. and etc.) and I asked the contact person if somebody could come meet us at the property like an owner or the listing realtor or anybody and they could not so I scheduled for the another day when a home owner could be there to keep the dogs away during the property appointment. How would you or should I have handled this situation? For example, would you have not made an appointment at all till somebody could be there or have the dogs put up? Would you ask for a trip fee at this point or not even tell your client about the situation or? Thanks for advise!

You did the right thing as far as I'm concerned. You arrived at your appointment but no where is it written you have to be "lunch" for an aggressive animal. I worry how the dogs are being treated when this type of thing happens. Either the homeowner removes the aggressive animals for the appointment or get an animal control officer to come with you and it's the homeowners nickel that pays for their time.

If advised dogs are there, I will not go. I've been bit too many times. The last one left scars and ruined a pair of pants and the owner was there. I can't afford that now being diabetic. They can put the **** things up. That's what they make dog cages for.
I was also bitten in the past by a dog at an appraisal appointment. The home owner never mentioned a dog. While sketching, I opened the door to go into the garage and bam! dog bit me. It turned out that the dog was not up to date on it's shots either! Rabies control went and got the dog for 10 days. ugh!!

You did the right thing as far as I'm concerned. You arrived at your appointment but no where is it written you have to be "lunch" for an aggressive animal. I worry how the dogs are being treated when this type of thing happens. Either the homeowner removes the aggressive animals for the appointment or get an animal control officer to come with you and it's the homeowners nickel that pays for their time.
Dogs behave differently when their masters aren't around. If it were me in the circumstance you describe, I would not request a trip fee, as I knew the dogs were home alone, but went anyway. My bad.

I was also bitten in the past by a dog at an appraisal appointment. The home owner never mentioned a dog. While sketching, I opened the door to go into the garage and bam! dog bit me. It turned out that the dog was not up to date on it's shots either! Rabies control went and got the dog for 10 days. ugh!!
Ouch. I've been bitten four times now. I had an assignment last month, occupied/lockbox and was told to go on out, no one would be there. Only Cujo was locked up on the inside, snarling and barking at me through a window. Couldn't raise the agent on the phone, so I left. Went back a few days later for an additional trip fee. Nothing personal, just business.

Last edited:
I will not go in an occupied property without the owner or an adult human rep there. The other day the one person there said they had to leave soon.
Told then if you leave, so do I. I'll see if I can get my inspection done first. (I did). :shrug:

If there is any dog question, keep the dog away from me.
Take them in while I inspect outside, then let them out when I come in.

Some dogs are friendly and cool, but I'm not there to meet them.
As long as they are OK, no need to put them away for me either, if they mostly leave me alone.
Like cats usually do. :peace:

I have a 90 pound Lab and she is over-protective. Labs are supposed to be docile compared to most. I have seen her be aggressive and would never enter any home with dogs if no one else was there. The last dog that bit me was about 6 pounds, I wouldn't want a 90-pound dog biting me.

Dog bites are one of the leading causes of Tetanus. If you get bit, make sure you tetanus shot has been within the past few years and if not, go get one immediately. Tetanus is also called lockjaw. Lockjaw is very bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back