• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

This Is Why Some Lenders Keep / Employ A Small Staff Of Appraisers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ucbruin

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Massachusetts
homesweethome's post #40 hits the nail on the head....

https://appraisersforum.com/forums/threads/the-system-is-broken.215198/page-4

I know during my 13 years as a bank staff appraiser (1987-2000), I would hear that some fee appraisers thought the appraisal dept. assigned the "crap" assignments to the fee panel. Not so.....
The staff had the honor of working on the "crap"....
If for some reason residential dept. didn't have someone with the required experience, it was kick up to the commercial dept.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
I would hear that some fee appraisers thought the appraisal dept. assigned the "crap" assignments to the fee panel. Not so.....
Yes, and got some crap reports as well. I was assigned one a few years ago when the borrower objected. I had solid sales that were averaging $1,000 more per acre. But we got a lot of RIMS bids that no one got because they were doing it in house but wanted us to bid to get an idea what to charge apparently since once they forgot to scrub a note off the email chain saying "the project had been assigned but please circulate"

ucbruin

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Massachusetts
Yes, and got some crap reports as well. I was assigned one a few years ago when the borrower objected. I had solid sales that were averaging $1,000 more per acre. But we got a lot of RIMS bids that no one got because they were doing it in house but wanted us to bid to get an idea what to charge apparently since once they forgot to scrub a note off the email chain saying "the project had been assigned but please circulate"

I have posted the same about this in the past and was pooh poohed.

Back in the day, the bank just assigned fee appraisers the work, no bidding....
When the bank did ask for a bid it was to decide what to pay the staff for the assignment.
That's why it would **** off staff when fee appraisers provided low bids, but they didn't know they weren't going to get the assignment under any circumstances...

AMF13

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
I was really glad when they shuffled territories and I no longer had to cover Malibu.
Beautiful place, but unless you have a condo, you are probably going to be spending a lot of extra time.
Researching, driving, inspecting, analyzing, writing.
Every blarney step of the way is much harder than a conforming property in a normal place. :leeann2:

OK, the jobs tend to be interesting. The real problem was the bank had 1 credit for 1 job.
I would rather get my credit easy on a tract house in the valley than some one off place in the Boo. :leeann:

ucbruin

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Massachusetts
I was really glad when they shuffled territories and I no longer had to cover Malibu.
Beautiful place, but unless you have a condo, you are probably going to be spending a lot of extra time.
Researching, driving, inspecting, analyzing, writing.
Every blarney step of the way is much harder than a conforming property in a normal place. :leeann2:

OK, the jobs tend to be interesting. The real problem was the bank had 1 credit for 1 job.
I would rather get my credit easy on a tract house in the valley than some one off place in the Boo. :leeann:

No extra for difficult assignments???
That's harsh.....

On an side....
I never had to appraise homes along PCH in LA county. I always thought how awful it would be to find parking, then take your house front and street scene photos as the cars are travelling 50+ mph....

jay trotta

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Connecticut
Back in the day, the bank just assigned fee appraisers the work, no bidding....

my bold and we would always get a mixed bag, both good & bad, although the office I worked seemed to give me the more complex jobs, nobody else wanted. Thought it was great, because I could request a Fee increase, no muss, no fuss; the Lenders knew our work and had the confidence in our work, as we very rarely had a slow time. We covered everything, the Good, The Bad and the Ugly.

AMC's, haven't a clue, they worry about scorecards......

ucbruin

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Massachusetts
my bold and we would always get a mixed bag, both good & bad, although the office I worked seemed to give me the more complex jobs, nobody else wanted. Thought it was great, because I could request a Fee increase, no muss, no fuss; the Lenders knew our work and had the confidence in our work, as we very rarely had a slow time. We covered everything, the Good, The Bad and the Ugly.

AMC's, haven't a clue, they worry about scorecards......

You're correct....
If the fee appraiser let the appraisal dept manager know that the property was complex, a fee increase would be typically approved. Even additional days to complete the report.

AMF13

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
I never had to appraise homes along PCH in LA county.

Did one maybe 20 years ago on the beach near Big Rock. About 5,000 SF, tenant was some rock star singer type.
Remember Kick Start My Heart? Flying a pirate flag off the balcony. Mr Tenant left in his Ferrari just after I arrived.
That was memorable, except I have no memory how many miles along the beach I went for comps. :leeann2:

Then there was a 7,000 square footer up Trancas Canyon. Inhabited by one Asian dude and a bunch of Post Office plastic boxes.
Mail order millionaire? :shrug:
Anyway, ocean and coast view there was truly awesome, glad he called to reschedule when it came up foggy. :cool:

This is the war stories thread, right? :ROFLMAO:

ucbruin

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Massachusetts
Was it this guy????

It's seasonally appropriate.....
At least for some of us....
Hope I didn't jinx the Pats....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks