• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

This Skippy Masquerade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vernon Martin

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
It’s easy to think that everyone on the forum is just like ourselves, with the same ethics and practices, but the truth is more likely that we have a good cross-section of the appraisal profession here, with both good and bad appraisers, and both honest and dishonest appraisers.

I was a review appraiser for most of my career, and I recognize a few skippies here, and there are probably many more. What surprises me is how those on the forum indulge them and agree with them without recognizing them.

Skippy writes things like, “I’m trying to help my client, but the bank rejected my appraisal!” I wonder why. They complain that the lenders are being too conservative, asking for new comps, and then complain that lenders have blacklisted them for being too conservative. I was particularly amused by the one last year who was blacklisted by Citibank, Countrywide and IndyMac and asked for all of Pam’s supporters to join in a class action suit against these three lenders (thus paying his legal bills). And the one more recently who was proud of how hard he fought the lenders for his mortgage broker clients. (Aren’t mortgage brokers the problem, nowadays?)

All of the complaining skippies have created a surreal world on this forum in which what is good is now bad and what is bad is now good, and idiocy is now a new form of intellect. They say that lenders only want bad appraisals, when it is obvious from the context of their complaints that their clients are mortgage brokers, not lenders. Let me repeat: a mortgage broker is not a lender.

I see an environment today in which lenders are worried about potential losses, although some of them might not have been worried before. If you satisfy their worries, you will have loyal clients. So why are so many of you fighting them?

Frederick R. Ruffell

Professional Status
State
California
Care to name names? or ar you too going to " indulge them and agree with them without recognizing them".

panappr

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
It’s easy to think that everyone on the forum is just like ourselves, with the same ethics and practices, but the truth is more likely that we have a good cross-section of the appraisal profession here, with both good and bad appraisers, and both honest and dishonest appraisers.

I was a review appraiser for most of my career, and I recognize a few skippies here, and there are probably many more. What surprises me is how those on the forum indulge them and agree with them without recognizing them.

Skippy writes things like, “I’m trying to help my client, but the bank rejected my appraisal!” I wonder why. They complain that the lenders are being too conservative, asking for new comps, and then complain that lenders have blacklisted them for being too conservative. I was particularly amused by the one last year who was blacklisted by Citibank, Countrywide and IndyMac and asked for all of Pam’s supporters to join in a class action suit against these three lenders (thus paying his legal bills). And the one more recently who was proud of how hard he fought the lenders for his mortgage broker clients. (Aren’t mortgage brokers the problem, nowadays?)

All of the complaining skippies have created a surreal world on this forum in which what is good is now bad and what is bad is now good, and idiocy is now a new form of intellect. They say that lenders only want bad appraisals, when it is obvious from the context of their complaints that their clients are mortgage brokers, not lenders. Let me repeat: a mortgage broker is not a lender.

I see an environment today in which lenders are worried about potential losses, although some of them might not have been worried before. If you satisfy their worries, you will have loyal clients. So why are so many of you fighting them?
Vernon with all do respect to your post, it is a public forum in which all have been invited to participate. I too have drawn my own conclusions on some that have posted here, however, I would never call anyone out as being a "Skippy". I hold high regard to most all of your post here, because you are extremely knowledgeable, insightful, and helpful. I also take the good with bad here, its free and allot of it is good.

Vernon Martin

Professional Status
State
California
One respondent wants me to name names, the other cautions me that this a public forum for all. I side with the latter, as I see the purpose of the forum is to inform and help each other. This is not a grand jury. I said what I said because I want appraisers to see through the clutter and agendas of some of the posters.

PropertyEconomics

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New Mexico
Vernon ... erring on the side of caution is always the best approach. Those that want names may be merely voyeurs in need of a spectacle. Some cant take their eyes off a train wreck, even if it is they that cut the tracks so it would happen.
I fear that a great many of the "less than professional" appraisers in our world are a result of poor mentorship. Its a sad thing WE have created.

Frederick R. Ruffell

Professional Status
State
California
One respondent wants me to name names, the other cautions me that this a public forum for all. I side with the latter, as I see the purpose of the forum is to inform and help each other. This is not a grand jury. I said what I said because I want appraisers to see through the clutter and agendas of some of the posters.

Then quit your 3itching.

Tudor

Professional Status
State
Arizona
I have noticed the same thing. I have been appraising long enough that it does not take me long to sniff out the skippy's.

Roy Courtney

Professional Status
State
Texas
Maybe we should take a poll. Everyone who believes himself/herself to be a skippy please stand up! Seems the whole world is made up of skippies except for us! lol

Alison Swain

Professional Status
State
Florida
I think PE has it closer to the truth. There are probably two schools of Skippydom. One is willful, the other based on ignorance and inexperience. Some of us (I speak for myself only) have probably commited acts of Skippydom unwittingly and only recognized the error of our ways later.

It's all live (practice) and learn. Some of us (maybe all of us, at one time or another) need more than one lesson to get it. As long as our focus is to learn, grow and become better and more professional, isn't that the point?

As for those willfully committing fraud, they will be found out eventually.

leelansford

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Illinois
I suppose I would have concern if my client base were mortgage brokers and I found myself continuously "winning" the "comp check derby" when they came calling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks