• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Those trying to take the 2007 exam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oregon Doug

Professional Status
General Public
State
Oregon
I just received this today:

Those of you (in OR) who submitted your application prior to Nov/1 have been issued vouchers that permit you to take the '07 exam and some of you who's application was recieved in the first half of Nov will also be able to take the test - I don't know how many and I have no information on any one in particular (so, don't ask.) The vast majority of applications have come from those licensed appraisers who are trying to slide in under the new '08 qualifications in order to upgrade to certified residential without having to meet the new requirements (surprised?)

The exam provider notified the ACLB in late November that they would not be administrating the new 2008 AQB exam and so far only one exam provider (Promisor) has been approved by the Appraisal Foundation. Obviously a number of other states are in the same prediciment. The first few months in 2008 are bound to be difficult.

Any way - have a happy holiday,

Oregon Doug

Margaret Treat

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Oregon
Hi Doug,
I called last Monday 12/17/2007 to schedule an appointment at Prometric. They told me there was one test slot left in 2007; Thursday 12/20 at 4:pM. I took the slot (and thank GOD, passed!) but I was hoping for after Christmas-no options. Sounds like I was lucky to get that one.

pdxexpert79

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Oregon
Hi Doug, Thanks for your response about my assistant situation. Your right Certified is the way to go, sounds like licensed has its limits. I was unaware licensed appraisers can no longer train assistants, thats adds to an already tough situation for us thats for sure. How are things in your office? Do you do mostly residential or commercial? Any potential of hiring an assistant? If you may know of any contacts that might be open to the idea I would greatly appreciate their contact info, I have 2 years experience now so will have a good basis for whats going on. Have a good holiday and appreciate your insight.

Oregon Doug

Professional Status
General Public
State
Oregon
Hi Doug, Thanks for your response about my assistant situation. Your right Certified is the way to go, sounds like licensed has its limits. I was unaware licensed appraisers can no longer train assistants, thats adds to an already tough situation for us thats for sure. How are things in your office? Do you do mostly residential or commercial? Any potential of hiring an assistant? If you may know of any contacts that might be open to the idea I would greatly appreciate their contact info, I have 2 years experience now so will have a good basis for whats going on. Have a good holiday and appreciate your insight.

After 37 years as an appraiser, I have retired to become a newbie in a wholly different field - so, my appraisal office is closed.

By way of encouragement (I think), I began as a commercial appraiser. I worked hard at it and aquired my MAI back in the late 70's. By HARD work, I managed to become "the world's foremost authority" on "trophy" properties all across the country. When the 80's came along, I became a "contract" appraiser (I took over whole appraisal departments for failed S & Ls). I retired in the early 90's (after several years of over a 6 figure income). I picked up an SRA and started doing a little residential appraisal work to keep me occupied between fly fishing.

The reason that I say this is by way of encouragement - It wasn't a "charmed" life and it had nothing to do with luck - I did it, you can too. But it does take work (10 - 12 hour days, six + days a week, 12 months a year) and a lot of training/skill (MAI, RM, SRA...). There are firms in the Portland area that are looking for dedicated professionals but there isn't much call for the basic box-checkin'-form-filler-outter appraisers right now. You decide (an', no, it ain't easy!), but if you got the moxie, it's a good profession.

Oregon Doug

Margaret Treat

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Oregon
Doug,
What's your new profession?

Oregon Doug

Professional Status
General Public
State
Oregon
Doug,
What's your new profession?

Margaret -

I’m beginning a career in writing. I’ve sold a few magazine pieces and there is some interest in my historical novel as its first rewrite (of many, I’m sure) nears completion.

I had little understanding about how publishing worked - a newbie once again. All the critique groups, content editors, line editors, literary agents, book contracts… let alone understanding the theories underlying story arc, plot, characterization, conflict, action, suspense, dialogue, scene & structure… all new to me.

It’s exhilarating and overwhelming at the same time – sort of like beginning appraising. One major difference is that appraisals are supposed to be non-fiction; novels are fiction by definition… making it up along the way is a good thing for a novelist, but not for an appraiser. Now, I get paid for telling stories (lies.)

Oregon Doug

Roscoeman

Professional Status
State
Oregon
Margaret -

I’m beginning a career in writing. I’ve sold a few magazine pieces and there is some interest in my historical novel as its first rewrite (of many, I’m sure) nears completion.

I had little understanding about how publishing worked - a newbie once again. All the critique groups, content editors, line editors, literary agents, book contracts… let alone understanding the theories underlying story arc, plot, characterization, conflict, action, suspense, dialogue, scene & structure… all new to me.

It’s exhilarating and overwhelming at the same time – sort of like beginning appraising. One major difference is that appraisals are supposed to be non-fiction; novels are fiction by definition… making it up along the way is a good thing for a novelist, but not for an appraiser. Now, I get paid for telling stories (lies.)

Oregon Doug

Dear Doug,

I want to thank you for your hard work in the industry. Is your last board meeting in April 2008?

Hope to see you at the January meeting (weather permitting for me).

Good luck with your new career! You will be missed by many....

TC

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
One major difference is that appraisals are supposed to be non-fiction;

I dunno, seems like a lot of them are pure fiction.:new_smile-l:

Good luck on your new career! I'm jealous, always thought making a living being a writer would great, just don't have the chops to do it.

TC

Margaret Treat

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Oregon
I'm too late! I wanted to make the joke about appraisals being fiction! :dance fool:

Congratulations Doug. I've always been a fan of people reinventing themselves. I'm sure the hard work and perseverance you used in appraising will come in handy. Sounds like a good choice, I would think with writing you will still have the freedom of lifestyle we have in appraising; no shift work, clock punching, etc. Some nice freedoms!

I would also like to thank you for all the work you have done in for appraisers in Oregon. Something you can be proud of!

Best of luck in your new endeavor. Margaret

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks